Author Topic: Routing midi from one program to another  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Routing midi from one program to another
« on: September 30, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
I'm starting to tinker around with the iac bus. It would be great to be able to use Cubase strictly as a sampler and VST instrument program, but have every bit of midi coming from Studio Vision. I'm trying to route SVP's midi to Cubase over the iac bus but I'm not having any luck. I am NOT trying to use MTC sync, by the way. I just want the midi to be sent into Cubase in real time since I want to use it as a sampler.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Routing midi from one program to another
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:31:04 PM »
Let me mention first that, just so you know, you're not the first person that has tried to get around the lack of VSTi support in SVP.
That said, sending MIDI out from SVP over IAC is easy:

Name an IAC "channel" if there isn't already one.
Create an Instrument in SVP with the output instrument set to that IAC channel.
Now the fun part.
Figure out how to get Cubase to receive input from the IAC bus. (Can't help you there - I don't use Cubase)

Last issue and definitely an important one: To make this work, only one app at a time (so, gotta be Cubase) can use the ASIO. SVP has to be used as a MIDI-only app. You cannot have your interface's ASIO driver in SVP's ASIO folder. (You can put Sound Manager in there if you need to "hear" something from SVP directly.

Good luck. I've never tried this but I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it if it worked. I suspect that Cubase will only send on IAC and not receive.

But if it works, by all means, please tell everybody!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Routing midi from one program to another
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:10:22 AM »
Cubase kept crashing. Hmm. I'm not used to it anymore anyway. It was my main DAW for over a decade but I don't remember much about getting the AMS/IAC thing working.

However, due to Logic's environment, I've now got it working fine. This means that ultimately, I can load up my G4 with some Pro Tools cards and use Logic as a TDM + VST (direct connect) mixer and VSTi station and have a badass midi sequencer driving it: Studio Vision running as midi-only.

I'm gonna do some experimenting and see what the limitations are in Logic. If someone else uses Cubase and can get the IAC thing working with it, please let us know. I'll report back with what I find...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:30:05 AM by Syntho »