Author Topic: Translating Interface?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline coldtea

• Newcomer
Translating Interface?
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »
Hi, I have no idea which board to put this in, I'm a total newbie, sorry. Can I translate the OS9 interface to another language?

I was thinking I could try translating it to Esperanto or some other language OS9 was never originally in (the extra problem there is, it won't have a font with characters like ĥĵĝŝŭ). Otherwise I'd just update obsolete/confusing terms and translate the missing translations (=stuff left in English) in the Japanese version I'm using now.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Translating Interface?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »
Yes, you can, But it's a real titanic task. You have to translate all STR, STR#, DLOG, ALRT ... resources from Finder, System, Mac Os Rom, Control panels and some system extensions, using a resource editor like ResEdit or Resourcerer.  :)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
to include exotic fonts in a MacOS, one could replace one of the default fonts (dingbats or another one which is used very seldom anyway) with it and rename it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline coldtea

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 05:10:45 PM »
MacTron: Thanks a lot! I'll make it my pet project. I won't have internet at home starting from tomorrow so if I end up doing it the progress pics in this thread will be extremely infrequent.

IIO: Hey, thanks! That's a good idea, I can definitely do that!!