Author Topic: Macbook G4 - powerful enough for VST?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Macbook G4 - powerful enough for VST?
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
I want to get a laptop capable of booting OS9 so that I can do some late night composing. I'm not a VST guy at all so I wouldn't know if the last few G4 laptops that came out are powerful enough to run a VST or two.

How fast would I need to get in terms of mhz to solidly run VST instruments? I'm guessing it's pretty much impossible to do it with a G3 laptop.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Macbook G4 - powerful enough for VST?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:16:34 AM »
I by no means use a lot of VST instruments, but I use a 700mhz G3 iBook to do exactly what you are asking with no issue.
I've also used a 366mhz iBook as well, but there are lower limits on what it can do.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »
I'm not a VST guy at all so I wouldn't know if the last few G4 laptops that came out are powerful enough to run a VST or two.

it will be able to run 250 bitratereducers, but if you plan to use altiverb you should be prepared to do that in mono. ;)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
I haven't yet figured out what I will use, but most likely it will be a sampler for drums (Battery?), an orchestral VST like the Edirol one, and a software synthie or two. Do you think I can get away with all of that?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
romplers yes, with synths there is a wide range of CPU hunger. many will work fine o a G3 - a few are still too hungry for the fastest G4s.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
Hmm. I wonder which ones are considered the best. There's a short thread in the VST section about it. There's the ReFX Vanguard, and Vibra 9000 which seems to be ok. I'll have to do a bunch of research and see what tickles my fancy.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
i dont think you want to use vibra or vanguard as an all day synth.

and note that "best" is always objective. :) so... what are you goung to do with them?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »
I don't use VSTs much at all but I'm trying to get into the habit of it. If I had to choose a good sounding VST, I'd say Diva. But diva is way newer. Is there something like it for OS9?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
"best sounding" might be somewhere between g-force and arturia, but for my taste they simply need to much CPU on a G4.

my all day synth used to be the PPG before i got into programming my own. exciton is cute too. my favorite in the "special" category is dacota.