Author Topic: SSD Options for a 300MHz iBook G3 Clamshell?  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Milko

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
SSD Options for a 300MHz iBook G3 Clamshell?
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:51:09 AM »
I bought an iBook clamshell about a year ago which came to me with a dead hard drive, so I undertook the diabolical process of replacing it with whatever I had laying around (a 60GB drive from another laptop) but now I'm wanting to replace that with an SSD.

I have a 128GB KingSpec IDE SSD in my PowerBook G4 late 2005 which runs Leopard and that works fine, but I'm guessing it might be a bit more complicated with OS 9? Are there any specific problems to be faced with an SSD in OS 9? I'd ideally like to get it right the first time so I don't have to take the thing apart any more times than I have to.

I've heard that Tiger is needed to initially partition an SSD and this iBook can't run Tiger obviously and doesn't have a DVD drive so that might be complicated.

Any help would be apreciated, thanks :)

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: SSD Options for a 300MHz iBook G3 Clamshell?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »
Looking at the ifixit guide for the clamshell, it appears to be a lot of work to get to it.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3660.0.html is my posting for a guide to me running a standard IDE to msata in my powerbook. So far, I've seen no problems on OS 9.2.2, only the initial struggle of needed to partition it with an updated version of the drive installer.

I turned off the virtual memory, so I will assume that it isn't writing data to the disk endlessly and should last a while. It is my hope anyways.

You might be able to find new IDE SSDs for them as they made them, which would cut down on an adapter + msata, I don't know.