Author Topic: PPC 7100 with Digidesign and SampleCell  (Read 4710 times)

Offline MacVader

• new to the forums
PPC 7100 with Digidesign and SampleCell
« on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
Greetings to all Mac OS 9 enthusiasts!
I need to make room in my small studio so am selling this 100% working “kit”
- PPC 7100, Mac OS 8.1, 136MB ram,  700MB SCSI internal drive (noisy as they tend to become after 25 years!)
- SampleCell II NuBus card (max ram installed)
- 4 track Digidesign “Audio Interface” with balanced ins/outs and 2 SCSI cables (different lengths)
- Digidesign SMPTE Slave Driver.
- 2 x Midi interfaces
- All cables and accessories to get this system connected to a mixer.

Some of the software currently installed and working:
- Cubase XT V 3.0.4
- ProTools 3.2
- SampleCell 2.0.3
- Sound Designer 2.8
- Time Bandit 2.5.2

I realize this system is not worth much, but it’s working and I would hate to have to bring it to the eco center for recycling…

I am asking 100.00$ CAD, but will accept any reasonable offer.
Located in Montreal Canada.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: PPC 7100 with Digidesign and SampleCell
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
Wow and too bad im far away, i hope you find somebody who appreciates that system. Nice collection.

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
Hope it's still for sale, I am interested.  (and nearby!)
G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:40:56 PM »
Couldn't remember the 7100 (yes perhaps I am a dotard), so I hit Wikipedia. Perhaps this quoted tidbit might be of some small interest to some here...
“Codename lawsuit

The Power Macintosh 7100's internal code name was "Carl Sagan", one of the three "fraud" code names (Pilt Down Man, Cold Fusion, and Carl Sagan) referring to the PowerPC processor pretending to be a 68000. An account of this lawsuit is given in Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos, pages 363–364 and 374–375.</ref> Though the project name was internal, it was revealed to the public in a 1993 issue of MacWeek. Sagan, concerned that the public might interpret this as an endorsement, reportedly contacted Apple and requested that they clarify that the codename did not constitute an official endorsement on his part. When they reportedly refused, he wrote a letter to the editor that appeared in a 1994 issue of MacWeek, seeking to inform their readers of the situation.

Following the letter, Apple renamed the project to "BHA" (for Butt-Head Astronomer). Sagan then sued Apple for libel over the new name, but lost. Following this, however, he sued Apple again, this time for the original use of his name, but lost this suit as well. Sagan and Apple, apparently not wishing to engage in a series of lawsuits over the issue, came to an out-of-court agreement in November 1995, leading to Apple making a statement of apology. The engineers on the project made a third and final name change from "BHA" to "LAW", short for "Lawyers are Wimps”.” :o
This Must Be The Place

Offline MacVader

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:49:17 AM »
Thank you all for viewing and replying!
I am happy to say that the kit has found a new home!
 8)

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:34 AM »
Thank you all for viewing and replying!
I am happy to say that the kit has found a new home!
 8)

great that u found it a new home..
i still have zero experience with any old nubus gear or systems
i would have loved to have spent some time with that system just for my own familiarity + experience sake