Author Topic: WTF SH*T dump (RANT AHEAD)  (Read 7476 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
WTF SH*T dump (RANT AHEAD)
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
Warnning bad language. Children cover your ears.

Sorry for the topic title, but damn it I'm pissed. (Not looking for help just bitching).
My house must have some sort of shit going on.
Went to go re-install, update and what not a bunch of machines.
Every single one of them just shit on me.

Nothing will install, working systems just crash.
ARGH!!!!!
So check this.
iBook G4 running 10.4.11.  Decided it's going to run for about a minute and then pinwheel forever. Can't do a damn thing.
Dual 1.4GHZ MDD, same fucking thing.
Dual 867mhz MDD, same damn thing.
867mhz AI powerbook same thing.
(yes they all are related to 10.4.11).
They all hang up on re-install.
If they do re-install, they hang up on updating.
2.3 Dual core G5.  Slightly different. All of a sudden it decides to kernel panic. 
If it was only one of them, then sure some bad hardware.  But all at once?
And then there is the mac mini. Oh it's a nice core duo.  And I've been meaning to whipe it since I got it. Finally did it and it hangs at creating the user account. The hangs are so inconsitent I would assume hardware, but damn that's six machine that all took a big steaming shit that could only be produced by a llama being squashed by an elephent and the shit shoots out and travles a couple hundred feet.
I'm kind of scared to turn on my two dual 1ghz QS right now. Those both work fantastic so maybe they will just sit for a few days.
For now I'm going to use this as an expination of my hatred of OS X at the moment.
So lesson learned. Old hardware can be a pain in the ass and OS X is a steaming pile of donkey shit.

End of rant.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: WTF SH*T dump (RANT AHEAD)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
If you used a burned CD/DVD (same for all machines) maybe it got bad and the install got corrupted ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:55:01 AM by Philgood »
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:48:25 AM »
Retail discs. It's possible, but the problems started on two machines prior to reinstall.  And there are two discs involved. A 10.4 and a 10.6(on the intel mini)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 04:57:01 AM »
Maybe cosmic radiation got you !?

You know...missing error correction for normal ram...
Very strange. How is it going now ?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:43:17 AM »
I gave up for the night.
I'll go back to it tonight.
I think it is just a fucked up coincidence.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 06:47:45 AM »
I had that kind of troubles with original hard drives. Also Tiger is "special". I just try to find a machine where tiger runs OK, and then Carbon Copy Clonner or SupperDupper. And that clone goes to the machines refusing to install Tiger.

My G3 B&W Rev.1 does strange things when fully updated to 10.4.11

That said, not all PSU last 15 years... Sometimes need a repaste and/or a air can/compressed air.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
I had that kind of troubles with original hard drives. Also Tiger is "special". I just try to find a machine where tiger runs OK, and then Carbon Copy Clonner or SupperDupper. And that clone goes to the machines refusing to install Tiger.

My G3 B&W Rev.1 does strange things when fully updated to 10.4.11

That said, not all PSU last 15 years... Sometimes need a repaste and/or a air can/compressed air.

Yeah Tiger is sort of a pain.  I'm really leaning to the install disc (except for the intel mini) causing install problems and if it does install something got messed up from the bad disc.
All machines boot and run 10.3 with no issue on the same drives.  All drives are actually new.  Power supply in one MDD is actually a newly refurbished one.

All the input is good. All things I will get to. I just more needed to bitch about the situation.  I guess this is to be expected with old hardware. Damn me and my obsession with old computing.

UGH!

At least there is a good community here that is always willing to help out.

Oh and incase anyone is wondering, I had done an experiment not too long ago with my 700mhz G3 iBook.
I bought a cheap (like $20 USD cheap) pata ssd on Amazon. Like some really cheap Chinese thing.  It was fast and made the iBook fast, but it get's incredibly hot.  Like hotter than the CPU and as we all know those video chips love to come unsoldered or solder joints break.  Hasn't broken anything yet, but that drive is coming out. So morale is, don't buy super cheap SSD no mater how tempting.  I do not expect that iBook to ever work correctly from the heat now.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »

i´ve went through this a few weeks ago.

serial ata connected volumes on the main QS were acting weird, everything about the issues i saw was abnormal and inexplicable.

exchanged PCI cards, reformatted all drives and volumes, tested all components of the machine in another machine, then found out that this other machine had a broken PSU fan and got too hot, so i had to move back to the other machine again, the symtopns with the volumes changed their shape several times... then i found that the IDE cable from the optical drive slipped had slipped out (so the number potential causes for the mess raised to 12)

in the end i disconnected all macs from the power, fiddled something at an external drive with a 12 volt PSU - and the power went out in my house. disonnected the PSU from the net too, and the power went out again. from what? there is nothing connected? is somebody watching me? where is the camera?

in between everything is back in my old machine - and now the sata volumes will in OSX only mount in safe boot mode, when you boot normally it claims that the kernel extension of the sata card could not be loaded. wtf! and when you dont load them the card works!

during the first 10 years i was just using my compters. everything went fine and the machines even bailed me out at wrong input. but the older the park gets the more weird stuff seems to happen.

atm it is like a deamon sitting under my bed fucking with me.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
the best part is that i just successfiully hacked the OSX kernel to make a macmini think it was an xserve in order to acceppt the injection of a virtual audio device driver.

such complicated and dangerous shit usually works for me. but the standard systems which were working before for years - as well as fresh installs - are all in kamikaze mode.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »

i´ve went through this a few weeks ago.

serial ata connected volumes on the main QS were acting weird, everything about the issues i saw was abnormal and inexplicable.

exchanged PCI cards, reformatted all drives and volumes, tested all components of the machine in another machine, then found out that this other machine had a broken PSU fan and got too hot, so i had to move back to the other machine again, the symtopns with the volumes changed their shape several times... then i found that the IDE cable from the optical drive slipped had slipped out (so the number potential causes for the mess raised to 12)

in the end i disconnected all macs from the power, fiddled something at an external drive with a 12 volt PSU - and the power went out in my house. disonnected the PSU from the net too, and the power went out again. from what? there is nothing connected? is somebody watching me? where is the camera?

in between everything is back in my old machine - and now the sata volumes will in OSX only mount in safe boot mode, when you boot normally it claims that the kernel extension of the sata card could not be loaded. wtf! and when you dont load them the card works!

during the first 10 years i was just using my compters. everything went fine and the machines even bailed me out at wrong input. but the older the park gets the more weird stuff seems to happen.

atm it is like a deamon sitting under my bed fucking with me.

Well at least it's not just me.  I was just going to blame it on 10.4 having some sort of self destruct timer in it so you can't use it after a certain date.  wouldn't put it past apple to do that one.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 05:00:16 PM »
All machines boot and run 10.3 with no issue on the same drives

Say what?

That's what I thought you said.

iBook G4 running 10.4.11.  Decided it's going to run for about a minute and then pinwheel forever. Can't do a damn thing.
2.3 Dual core G5.  Slightly different. All of a sudden it decides to kernel panic. 

So lesson learned. Old hardware can be a pain in the ass and OS X is a steaming pile of donkey shit.

It's seems virtually certain that the only steaming pile of donkey shit in this situation was/is your copy of Tiger and/or Tiger updates.
The only reason you're so pissed is that it took you a long time to realize that.
Meanwhile, don't feel so bad… this shit happens to everybody - even to the really smart guys.

But no big deal man, with all of the amazing shit you contribute around here, we'll listen to you rant anytime you feel the need to!

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:31 AM »

Say what?

That's what I thought you said.

It's seems virtually certain that the only steaming pile of donkey shit in this situation was/is your copy of Tiger and/or Tiger updates.
The only reason you're so pissed is that it took you a long time to realize that.
Meanwhile, don't feel so bad… this shit happens to everybody - even to the really smart guys.

But no big deal man, with all of the amazing shit you contribute around here, we'll listen to you rant anytime you feel the need to!

Yeah I'm on the boat with the Tiger installer.  Got as far as burning a new one last night, but the damn garage door took way to long to repair so no other time.
I didn't waste much time actually.  My whole endeavor took me like 45 minutes.  I just really pissed me off.  Though it is odd that other working machines started being stupid at the same time. And the mini was not installing correctly. I'm pretty sure the mini is just a hard drive issue. I didn't put anytime into it other than stick the installer disk in and run that.
But whatever, I will fix it.

Now if I could only figure out my Macintosh TV I would be super happy. (Had no time to actually try though).

Thanks all for chiming in on my vent trip.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
DAMN PIECE OF (insert choice of expletive)
Alright Dual 1.42 MDD and PowerBook resolved. Haven't tackled the other ones yet.
Burned new media, did not resolve it.
PowerBook has install, but it freezes periodically.
Installed 10.3 in MDD installs, but randomly freezes.
Clean DVD drive, try to reinstall 10.4.  Hangs at various points during install.
Replaced IDE cable, still no go.
Swapped to the ATA-66 port, still no go.
Gave up and watched the 1966 Batman shows and worked on PowerBook.
Disabled Airport for some reason. Works with no problem. No issues what-so-ever.
Enable Airport, issues come back.
Back to MDD. Unplug ethernet. Installs, boots and everything works.
Plugin ethernet cable. Hangs on boot. Unplug ethernet, works great. Let it boot, plug in ethernet long enough to get the 10.4.11 update. Unplug ethernet and all is good.
So something on my network is fucked up.
This makes some sense.  The MDD had never been on our network until I went to update it for Logic.  The PowerBook has been, but not used often and I forged it was just bad RAM until this pile of shenanigans.
The G5 had also not been on the network before as well and that had just gotten hooked up for updates for logic as well.
I recently switched routers to the one provided by ATT (sorry if you work there or like ATT, but fuck ATT).  Dumb idea.  PowerBook has problems with it, my phone has problems with it, my Surface (yes I know Microsoft whatever, but it's pretty awesome) has issues with it, the MacBook Pro has issues with it (see the picture) and I didn't put all this together until I turned of the AirPort on the PowerBook.  Why the hell it caused me all this headache is beyond me. So back to the old router I guess is the solution.
This is probably also the reason for the strangest on my clamshell as well. This probably explains the mac mini as it was using the same Wifi as the PowerBook (plus I think the HD is going bad on that one).

At least the MDD's and G5 aren't intended to be on a network at all.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
G5 fixed.  This one had the network issue too!
I am refusing to resolve my home network until I can verify all these machines were messed up because of the network.
G5 actually had two strikes against it.
1. The drive took a shit on me today while working with it.  So much for a good drive.
2. Everything worked fine until I plugged it into the network.  All was good until I went to install Logic.  And freeze.
 Reboot, freeze, repeat as needed.  Unplug ethernet and bam working.

So this is now three of the five machines resolved by dealing with the network.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
try putting garlic under your bed.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 08:45:16 PM »
try putting garlic under your bed.

That requires a bed frame and stuff.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »
I tol ya it was a pseudo virus, courtesy of the AT&T DeathStar... triggered by the recent eclipse.

The only logical solution is to wrap a piece of bacon around your AT&T router, tie that bacon in place with a long horse hair and then bury it all under an old oak tree during a full moon. Dig it up the next day and all will be fine. (After you switch routers and change your ISP.)

No need to thank me.  ;)

My hair is now growing back in the bald spot from last year when I had that problem with my one single MDD... and pulled my hair out in the process.

And IIO is off his rocker, garlic does not work. I tried it! (Now, holy water might be a different matter altogether.)
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
But seriously, perhaps some "corruption" via the ethernet "handshake" between computer and your router/ISP... and maybe WiFi as well? Are you testing only on your home network, or have you tried at work also. And if so, is AT&T also at work too?
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
That requires a bed frame and stuff.

seems we have a lot in common.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
btw i just found out that my old dyndns in my router wasnt working for the last 6 years or so (and i had to switch back using a client software) because there was a bug in the routers firmware with that and i have disabled auto update.

after updating the firmware from v 1.2. to version 3.8 (lol?) now all is ok now.

so... sometimes things can actually be (at least partially) caused by an user error.

the solution to a problem is often exactly that which you excepted because of a dogma or misconception. so look there first. :)