Author Topic: QuickSilver 733MHz, ALL WELL, except NO VIDEO / DISPLAY  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Zergei72

• Newcomer
QuickSilver 733MHz, ALL WELL, except NO VIDEO / DISPLAY
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
Ok ...

When I turn on my PPC (blank HDD, several tested) I get the normal startup chime, no error beeps, OS 9 install CD is being read, HDD shows activity and fans are on .
But I get no picture on my CRT-monitor (NOKIA 447PRO) ... it just displays cable connected, no signal before going to power state mode .

I've done command - alt - p+r / pram-reset as well as trying to get into open firmware command - alt - o+f .
and even cuda-reset .

the cmos battery is new ...
I've tried unplugging the video card (original nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX) and switching RAM-sticks . No success !!!

The machine behaves mainly okay, but this goddamn video problem .

Please someone Help me out ... ():

/ Zergei W .

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: QuickSilver 733MHz, ALL WELL, except NO VIDEO / DISPLAY
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
A couple of questions:
1. Did this just "happen" when you started up? That is, did you hear or see any little oddities in the display leading up to this like little flickers, blooming anything unusual?
2. When you start up, can you hear the high voltage come up in the monitor - that sort of crackling static-y sound that happens when first turned on?
3. You say: "it just displays cable connected, no signal before going to power state mode" Exactly what do you mean by that? What on Earth is "power state mode"?

If you haven't yet noticed, I'm considering the monitor to be the primary suspect.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »
Could the video card be set to a resolution that the Nokia can't deal with?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
with CRTs you normally dont have these problems of "wrong resolution" or "no EDID cable" which can occur with modern flat panels, they just work wihtout any kind of driver or handshake at macs from the same decade.

however, it might still be a good idea anyway to get rid of them and get a new monitor.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
Is the monitor known good?
Are you using any connection adapter that is known good?

I've got one particular CRT that must be turned on before the Mac (and the Mac must be started from cold) or it won't display anything.

Have you got any special cards or hardware in this Mac? Remove everything bar your CDROM drive, and try starting up with the most basic setup possible.

G.