Author Topic: SYSEX with Fadermaster  (Read 5571 times)

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
SYSEX with Fadermaster
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
... for that matter, has anyone of you done SYSEX with JL Cooper's Fadermaster?(NOT Fadermaster pro)
People boast on a few places that the Fadermaster is one of the rare programming devices to be able to do SYSEX.
I know it is, but there is only ONE sysex bank, that works with only one particular device and nothing else, and I have not found a way to edit that bank except, possibly,  with the Fadermaster editor, which is unobtainium....

am I missing something?

P.O.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: SYSEX with Fadermaster
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
possibly,  with the Fadermaster editor, which is unobtainium....

am I missing something?
Yes. You (and I and probably many others as well) are missing the editor.

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »
Apparently, if you don't mind trespassing on the dark side, MidiQuest would have an editor for the FaderMaster
https://www.squest.com/Products/MidiQuest11/Instruments/JLCooperFaderMaster/
For the moment, I do not have time to investigate this... plus, I don't have machines that will run their latest version.
Maybe you, GaryN, would like to try it and report?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
I'll take a look at it.

From my reading of the product however, it appears they're using MIDIQuest to control the Fadermaster itself, The SysEx functions they're advertising appear to be system calls for the Fadermaster to dump it's banks to library files etc. and "easier" editing of which fader does what and such…

Those are NOT the SysEx functions touted in the unobtanium JLC Editor which were to send SysEx to and from MIDI devices enabling control of those devices beyond that which could be obtained with standard MIDI CC's and such.

Then there's that nagging little detail of requiring Intel 10.6-and-up instead of the original (again, unobtanium) OS9

DHYB…

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
There is a "legacy" section at the bottom of this page
https://www.squest.com/Downloads/Downloads.html
but I just realised these are only updaters... I would have tried an XP compatible version, but I guess this is all moot now.
And for the current version, it requires a recent windoze version, which I don't have.
As for the Macintosh version, it only works with intel macs, an I don't touch these machines.

Only way would be to find an old version of MidiQuest...
So we're somehow back to square one...

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »
Next level would be to try to read the ROM with my EPROM burner, and try to crack the format the factory presets are writtem with...

don't hold your breath!

Offline P.O.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »
OK. just a quick report on...nothing.
I have found an intel Mac (OSX 10.7.5) on which to test MidiQuest 11 essentials, but could not get anywhere as MIDI is broken on this machine. MIDI configuration stays stuck on "loading", and MIDIquest will not even open...

As feared, the downloads on MidiQuest "legacy" section are updaters only. they won't intall the application.

So we're still nowhere.