Author Topic: DVD-RAM Drives Won't work under Mac OS  (Read 2568 times)

Offline flashedbios

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
DVD-RAM Drives Won't work under Mac OS
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
Purchased two internal DVD-RAM drives (ibm branded, panasonic made) with 50 pin SCSI connectors off ebay along with an adaptec 2940 that I flashed to mac.  Card works great with hard drives and it sees my dvd ram drives but the drives don't "work".  I put regular dvd's in them and nothing shows up on the desktop.  I put DVD RAMs in them and nothing.  They work great under windows so i know they work.  I got a good deal on these, they were new and only $40 a piece.  Im not paying $100 to $200 for a used ram drive that is "apple branded"   , just to take the easy way out.  There has to be a way to make these drives work.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: DVD-RAM Drives Won't work under Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »
if you use os9 did you update your extensions? they had dvd specific ones with dvd player for os9. you might be missing something and it cant handle the udf format without extensions

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: DVD-RAM Drives Won't work under Mac OS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
at least reading should work i think, so it is not a software problem but scsi might be the issue.

do you have the chance to add an IDE card to your machine? an IDE disc burner costs USD 1-5 on ebay and it will almost always work with toast 5 (or to be exact, with the finder, in the case of RAM)

i have used various drives with G4s and things like writing to RAM - or booting - has always worked.

apple has never offered any products with RAM drives, you are looking for LG, Sony, Samsung...
insert arbitrary signature here