Author Topic: Mac OS 9.2 (Unsupported G4s version) on iBook G4 (Early/Late 2004)  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Raven4522

• Newcomer
  • Tech necromancer
Hiya all.

In late May, I ordered myself an iBook G4 from Amazon for $90. I did this because I wanted a PPC Mac to mess around with. It came with Mac OS X 10.5 (latest on PPC Macs.)
I came by this while searching "how to install Mac OS 9 on iBook G4" on Google one day.

I downloaded the Unsupported G4s version of Mac OS 9.22. I burned it to a CD, and put it in the iBook.

I went in Startup Manager. There was 10.5 but the 9.22 CD appeared as well. I tried booting from it but it stayed at a grey screen.
I did a bunch of research. I then found this command to type in OF:

" /cpus/@0" find-package if drop " /cpus/@0" find-device 80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property then

" /cpus/@1" find-package if drop " /cpus/@1" find-device 80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property then

device-end \ PLX-OS9-PATCH

I did this command, and booted the CD in OF this time. SUCCESS!

Now that I knew it booted 9 successfully, I didn't want to waste my 10.5 install. (I don't have a 10.5 CD.)

I went back in 10.5 and used SuperDuper! to clone my HD.

Now that's done, I booted back into 9 and initialized the hard disk. I then installed 9.2 successfully, but removed the Multiprocessing extensions.

I will post the results of booting 9 from the hard disk soon.

Raven

Raven

Offline laylow

• Newcomer
Re: Mac OS 9.2 (Unsupported G4s version) on iBook G4 (Early/Late 2004)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
Any update on this?

Offline Raven4522

• Newcomer
  • Tech necromancer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
Ok, I'm very sorry that I haven't gone back to this more than a year ago! I'm still alive though. :P

The iBook did boot up and I went through the initial setup. All was OK! I did some tests as well- The modem doesn't work, and there's no WiFi using AirPort. I expected this.

I also made a YouTube video for this follow-up: https://youtu.be/7wwlUY710_c

Thank you all so much! If anything else happens, I'll come back to this thread and report.

iRaven4522
Raven

Offline SabMac

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
Hello everyone,
I just downloaded "Mac Os 9.22 unsupported Hardware"
I try to open the .iso file but osx considers it damaged.

I can burn it with osx 10.5 Disk Utility but I can't boot on ibook g4