Author Topic: Need help immediate! eMac Radeon 9200 or 9600  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
Need help immediate! eMac Radeon 9200 or 9600
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:37 PM »
In about 2 days we are putting on a tournament at Classic Game Fest (classicgamefest.com)

The games are, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake III Arena. These are tournament matches, so we will network all of the Macs together. 6 Macs in total.

We have a lot of eMacs here, 1.25 GHz and 1.42 GHz. The problem is, we tried the OS X build of Duke (EDuke32) and it's horribly buggy.

The good news is, thanks to resources from here, we got the eMac 1.25 GHz (Radeon 9200) to boot OS 9! It was awesome, I almost lept into the air!

The bad news is, the Radeon is not accelerated! We are trying everything right now, various versions of drivers, etc.

Did anyone ever get this to be accelerated? We also have eMac 1.42 GHz, with Radeon 9600. We could use these instead, if the Radeon works.

I used this shell script, it's the only script that allowed the OS 9 Universal Unsupported ISO to boot. Whoever made the script should receive unlimited... favors ;) http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3061.0

We did edit the script slightly for "PowerMac4,4" since that seems to be the closest eMac model that natively booted OS 9. But that script doesn't work on the 1.42 in our testing so far, but I think it should.

Help!!! We have a deadline!!!!

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
Re: Need help immediate! eMac Radeon 9200 or 9600
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
Some developments...

Duke Nukem 3D runs smoothly without accelerated graphics (they probably use a form of direct-blitting or something). But it has to run 256 Colors...

The eMac 1.25 GHz is stuck on 256 Colors but when the game runs, the colors are like LSD (psychadelic, totally wrong, etc.)

The eMac 1.42 GHz is stuck on Millions of Colors, we can't seem to change it.

If we can get Duke Nukem running in OS 9 with good speed and correct colors, we can run the machines on Saturday in OS 9, and then flip them to OS X on Sunday for Quake III Arena.

If we can get full ATI Radeon going then we can run in OS 9 all weekend...

I'll be sure to post some pics regardless from the convention.

As I said, we have available both eMac 1.25 GHz and 1.42 GHz, with Radeon 9200 and Radeon 9600 respectively. Either one we can use for the exhibit, whichever one we can get working the best.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
Have you tried this driver with the 9200 equipped eMac? http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/ati-radeon-9200-driver-cd-rom
You will not get hardware acceleration with the 9600, at least not until someone reverse engineers the current Radeon drivers or writes a new one for the 9600.

Hope you get it working!

EDIT:
Check out this stuff as well: https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI_Mac/#9200rom
They probably only work on retail cards, but might be worth a shot.

You also have some more drivers here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/radeon-9200-dvi-i-drivers-os-9
Might be the same stuff as in the 9200 driver CD in the first link, but check it out.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
We have tried everything, and some other stuff.

Nothing allows even a basic acceleration or recognition of the ATI chip that resides on an eMac motherboard.

It's the same goddamned chip that exists on an AGP Card. We DID get a Radeon 9600 AGP Card, in a MDD G4, to recognize.

The SAME chip, its on an eMac motherboard. Not recognized.

Damn everyone at ATI for, I think it was intentional. They have sabotaged this.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
eMacs wont... not yet.

the iLamp 700 or 800 MHz will support OS9 natively.
insert arbitrary signature here