Author Topic: Teach me about Galaxy  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Teach me about Galaxy
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:29 PM »
I'm back at trying to see what's going on with this. There was a tech publication about the Korg X/N series editor and it made no mention about any of the issues I covered. The editor I've got is version 1.0.3. I wonder if it's possible to get another version than 1.0.3. I took a look around and I didn't see any other version available. It's the librarian that's version 1.0.9.

I'm thinking this is just probably another one of those things that was never fixed due to the end of Opcode. The X and N series synths are very slightly different, with the X series coming out before the N series, so we're probably just looking at unfinished software. I wish to god we could get Dave Oppenheim and the other guys to come back and finish SVP and Galaxy for us  8)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »
I wish to god we could get Dave Oppenheim and the other guys to come back and finish SVP and Galaxy for us  8)
Once Gibson goes down completely - which looks like any day now - you probably can.
All it would take is $$$$…or maybe $$$$$$$$$$$$$
I've got $…anybody else?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »
I'm back to this same issue. For some weird reason the damn combis are muted. I have no friggin' clue why it does this. If it weren't for this one issue, this editor would be flawless. It's a huge hiccup though.

Surely there is some work around for this. For Galaxy to have its very own manual for these Korg synths shows us that a lot of time went into making them. I'm thinking of trying to find some earlier revisions (or possibly later ones!) of the Korg X/N editor that has this bug fixed. Maybe it's the editor file, maybe it's galaxy itself... I have no idea. I'm gonna have to hunt for the files though since I don't think we have much Galaxy stuff except for what's posted on this site.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
Does anyone have a large archive of Galaxy files? I wish we could get one going like we did with the Logic archive. So far I can only find a couple different librarians for the X/N series. There's GOT TO BE an updated editor that works out this bug. The newest editor I have was released in December 1997 and is version 1.0.3.

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »
When requesting a specific file, it would be helpful if you gave the exact name and version you are looking for, and even when it was released.

I did a search for just Galaxy and the attached contains everything I found, but I suspect it has nothing to do with what you are looking for.

Still, it's  all less than 3 megs, so I'm u/l'ing.

Moderator: feel free to delete if it's nothing to do with the topic.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »
There's GOT TO BE an updated editor that works out this bug.
No… there doesn't – anymore than there's got to be a newer drug than Prozac for OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD …………………………………………………
…………………………………………………

Seriously, both of us looked long and hard for an update for this last year without success. It's virtually certain there isn't one.
As bugs go, this one is only in the annoyance category. Just think how you would feel if the bug crashed the system 50% of the time but you still had to use it. It could be much worse dude.

Personally, I have a couple synths that I have to edit with Soundiver. I also have a couple for which NO editor exists at all.
This is far from the worst issue caused by Horrible Henry blowing up Opcode.

Live with it.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
Thanks for the post macarone. Not what I needed, but a good archive in any case for reference.

I'll definitely have to give up on it. The thing that makes me think there's another version out there is that the editor is 1.0.3, so maybe something was released beforehand. The other reason I think there may be a working version is because the bug is such a glaring one that surely they didn't release every version with that same issue.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 11:41:06 PM »
I'm back to this same issue. For some weird reason the damn combis are muted. I have no friggin' clue why it does this. If it weren't for this one issue, this editor would be flawless. It's a huge hiccup though.
So, I wrote my last previous response about this earlier today and a little later. I got a notification (what I get for NOT turning them off) from Yahoo Opcodeusers from you about this too. So……

Prompted to think about it even more - which sucks for me since i don't even own a Korg anything, it finally dawned on me that what Korg calls "Combis", Yamaha and the rest of the world calls "Performances" - where you have more than one patch active at one time. Those I understand. Then it dawned on me that:

How can you edit a Combi? It's well, a combination of more than one patch. In order to edit any one of the contributing patches, you have to be able to hear what you're editing…that is the changes you're making. For many edits, you're better off hearing only the patch you're editing so the rest would need to be muted. In hat case, you either have to start with them all off then turn on the one you want to tweak OR start with them all on then turn off the other ones.

This concept gets complicated in a software MIDI editor because the edit commands have to be sent to the right places and that can get complicated with multiple patches operating. There are of course, other parameters unique to multiple-patch setups like relative balances, pan, key ranges etc, that need their own edit window but those are also separate and separately-addressable parameters.

So, now we're here:
Maybe it is a bug.
Maybe it's just a matter of which way to arrange it: all on or all off to start.
Maybe it's a limitation of the architecture of the editor that can't be overcome.
Maybe it's a limitation of the architecture of the editor that could have been overcome with more time and/or cleverness.
OR
Maybe it's a limitation of the architecture of the editor caused by expanding a simpler editor from a simpler Korg model that worked just fine except for the awkward way it handles the Combis that didn't exist on the original model it was written for and the guy thought "Shit, I'll have to fix this in a later update" that never happened. His idea of "a huge hiccup" may have been a lot bigger than yours.

That's what I would bet on. You're just trying to wish an update that never was into existence.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 02:20:47 AM »
The editor is nearly 100%. It's the only bug in it at all. There's also programming tools to make our own editors. I'm wondering if it's possible to actually edit a preexisting editor. If that's the only bug to fix, and if I were a programmer and had the know-how, I'd come up with my own fix for it in a heartbeat. I have no idea what to do though.

The Korg X/N synth architecture is definitely a bit different, and I know so because 1) the lack of editors for them back then and 2) the ones that were around, all had bugs. Sounddiver for example works fine, with one exception: when editing a combi, and when you unmute a program inside a combi, if that program happened to be in the G (GM) bank, it reselects the same-numbered program in the A bank. It doesn't like programs in the G bank for some reason.

There's always this one little bug in all of them. Ugh! Maybe I'll learn how to fix it myself. Galaxy is the superior software over Sounddiver in my opinion.