Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: PowerBook G4 17" Aluminum 5,1 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 60464 times)

Offline jeremywork

• Newcomer
When booting from the os9 unsupported CD for the first time on my FW800 1.42 DP I got the same message you did about there being a problem with the cache, followed by no longer having any L3 cache under OS X. It definitely did work before, and I'm extremely hesitant to try on my second FW800 1.42 DP. On my single 1.0 FW400 model (which is supported) the unsupported disk does not produce this error. The second USB device error seems to be in regards to the bluetooth controller, and can be ignored safely. Have you had any luck reviving your L3 Cache? PRAM reset hasn't done the trick. Plenty more to try... Hopefully OS9 compatibility doesn't require a permanent sacrifice of L3 Cache...

The Absolute Best Laptop that will Boot natively to Mac OS 9.2.2
Apple PowerBook G4 1.0 Ghz 17" Aluminum
Model M8793LL/A - PowerBook5,1 - A1013

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK ready to Boot !  I am so excited I can barely take it... WTF, what is this crap.... is this error real or an anomaly from booting to OS 9 ?

So, We now boot to an external FW hard drive that has OS X and see about the cache memory, remember this is NOT the main system memory, but memory on the logic board that cannot be changed by the user.

Hmmm.... no error pop up, but we notice NO L3 Cache is listed (even in OS X)

So ebay strikes again... we run a diags and indeed the cache fails diagnostics and we remove the SSD and put it in Unit 2.  Unit 1 boots to OS9, but the bad cache will slow down the DAW speed tests I want to do later :(

[/size]

Offline lartch

• Valued Member
FYI there's lots of machines faster than that PB 1.0 but they just require hacks to boot (PBG4 1.5, prolly 1.67, dual 1.42 MDD, 1.42 mac mini)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
what do you mean by "just hacks"? the mini requires almost the same modificiations as the alu powerbooks. and the 1.5 and 1.67 are on the to-do list.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mietek

• Newcomer
What about the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 in the G4/1.5 12"?

Offline labbdos

• Newcomer
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: PowerBook G4 17" Aluminum 5,1 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 06:19:39 AM »
Hi, I have a 17" 1Ghz PB G4 and a 15" 1.67Ghz PB G4 that I would like to run OS 9 on, but I can´t download the fixed ISOs. Not allowed because of capacity/no premium account. Are these ISOs available anywhere else?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
Hi, I have a 17" 1Ghz PB G4 and a 15" 1.67Ghz PB G4 that I would like to run OS 9 on, but I can´t download the fixed ISOs. Not allowed because of capacity/no premium account. Are these ISOs available anywhere else?

This has been an issue only as of lately, just make a "free" account on Adrive, we are working on this :(

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 09:42:59 PM »
A few weeks ago I took an offer of this machine with 1 Gig of RAM for 70 bucks and I took it.

Tested the machine with the original 60Gb 4200rpm drive and worked really slow on Tiger+Leopard, but fast on Panther.

I ordered 2 Gigs of RAM and the feeling were the same, only a little faster on Panther, but the drive were starting to give troubles.

So I decided to get the best 44 pins to mSATA adapter + a 240 mSATA drive. Total 33 Euros for the adaptor + 57 for the mSATA.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
I have inserted a cardbus USB 2.0 card with NEC Chipset. I will report back if it works or not.

2 Things:

Where can I find iMic ROM file?

Should there be an order in the partitioning of a drive for a system to be the first chosen after a Apple+Alt+P+R

I am going to multiboot Mac OS 9 + Panther + Tiger and Leopard and enjoy it with a original M-Box with Protools and Logic in Mind.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
Ninester and I were just checking this mSATA + adapter scenario out today and considering same for a Mac mini. After viewing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35isLn-OhQ and noting the “doesn’t work” report in the comments, coupled with the fact that there was no follow-up video of the thing actually working… well, kinda-sorta nixxed the idea. BUT, do please report your success as the OWC, I assume 44 pin IDE SSDs - - (yes Mr. Happy, I remember) are a bit more expensive… and quite possibly… slower.
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2018, 12:02:50 AM »
would there be DOM / flash drives which fit into the HD slot of am mini? the kingspec stuff for example is not higher than a 40 pin IDE plug is.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »
Interesting, 110.
Moved comments/response to General Hardware
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4435.msg31470/topicseen.html#new
This Must Be The Place

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Ninester and I were just checking this mSATA + adapter scenario out today and considering same for a Mac mini. After viewing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35isLn-OhQ and noting the “doesn’t work” report in the comments, coupled with the fact that there was no follow-up video of the thing actually working… well, kinda-sorta nixxed the idea. BUT, do please report your success as the OWC, I assume 44 pin IDE SSDs - - (yes Mr. Happy, I remember) are a bit more expensive… and quite possibly… slower.

As I have mentioned, the OWC Legacy IDE Drives are simply an mSata with an adapter in a pretty package, I am not sure what chipset is used... I imagine the adapter and mSata that PT5 is testing should work 100%... if not, we will have to hunt down the chipset used in the OWC or if they have made some modification

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »

So I decided to get the best 44 pins to mSATA adapter + a 240 mSATA drive. Total 33 Euros for the adaptor + 57 for the mSATA.

It is more like the best adaptor plus the cheapest >128G drive. I hope it to be working. Most drive should saturate the ATA 100 bus.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:39:09 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Interesting, 110.
Moved comments/response to General Hardware
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4435.msg31470/topicseen.html#new

unfortunately it mighzt be that i am wrong. both models i could find on ebay have a power connector which is some 2 mm higher than the rest of the thing. it might still fit into a G4 mini with some trickery.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
The adapter is working, but it came as cable-select as default and in that way TDM was not working, even from the Mac OS X control panel / Target Disk Mode option. Without that pin connected, it acts as master and works flawless.

My mSATA disk specs in Amperes are even better than suspect.  DC +3.3 450 mA
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »
damn, i didnt even notice that this is the unsupported powerbook thread. we should really come back to topic here.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
When booting from the os9 unsupported CD for the first time on my FW800 1.42 DP I got the same message you did about there being a problem with the cache, followed by no longer having any L3 cache under OS X. It definitely did work before, and I'm extremely hesitant to try on my second FW800 1.42 DP. On my single 1.0 FW400 model (which is supported) the unsupported disk does not produce this error. The second USB device error seems to be in regards to the bluetooth controller, and can be ignored safely. Have you had any luck reviving your L3 Cache? PRAM reset hasn't done the trick. Plenty more to try... Hopefully OS9 compatibility doesn't require a permanent sacrifice of L3 Cache...

First time I rebooted the machine after opening it, my L3 cache went. "DieHard Syndrome"? I opened it again to make the Cable select to Master SSD drive converter change and I noticed the 2 memory chips of the L3 cache are heatsinked thru the keyboard!!

Then I put more presure to the keyboard screws, and Voila! , the L3 cache came back.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:21:02 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Performance/Hardware Test (Updates 08/11/2017)

3) QuickBench Test Results

QuickBench 1.5?

Pictures 1 to 7 MacBench 3 results

Picture 8 and 10 (no 9) MacBench 5

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:20:11 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »
Is My math right?

MBytes are KBytes/1024

Then, if I compare MB 3 and 5 results with QB 1.5 results the chinese 240GBytes drive is lightly faster than the 120 GB OWC Golden solution.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4