Author Topic: Finding Mac OS 9 DMG Installer  (Read 6807 times)

Offline DigiBlast

• Newcomer
Finding Mac OS 9 DMG Installer
« on: June 30, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
So i'm trying to install OS 9 from a Hard Drive that has OSX Tiger. I'm reading the article here, but the install link has expired. And I haven't found a DMG OS 9 Installer anywhere else. So could someone provide me the link or file itself please?

Offline DigiBlast

• Newcomer
Re: Finding Mac OS 9 DMG Installer
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
Nevermind, I found it. I failed hard.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:21:33 AM »
it is on any tiger CD/DVD - but it is an invisible file, so you need something like default folder, resedit, soundhack, to find and copy it.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
What you looking for is the os9general.dmg image. Should be found at macintoshgarden.org under the same name or like mentioned as a hidden image on a restore cd for your mac.

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
greetings fellow mac enthusiasts!

this file has a much higher version # than the os9general.dmg; meaning its more recent + up to date with revisions/fixes

Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal (Just Format & Drag files to Install); http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1859.0.html

i recently used this file for exactly this purpose; after you enter the password, you can select either file version! you have a choice at this point, you dont have to download both!; i then selected the file "freshDragInstall.img.sitx" (470Mb);  i then downloaded and opened the file on a PPC system running either tiger or leopard and I then used stuffit expander to expand the .sitx and then all i had to do was double click the freshDragInstall.img file and it mounted a disk image on my desktop! as a native mac filesystem; then you can just copy the files to the drive! then you have the most recent versions of os9 for your G4!