Author Topic: MDD Power Supply - Repair / Refurbs  (Read 9219 times)

Offline Unknown_k

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Re: MDD Power Supply - Repair / Refurbs
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »
I think it take some more time before people are willing to pay $100 to refurb a broken MDD power supply when they can buy complete units for that amount. I have 3 dead MDD PS in my garage waiting for the day that it will be worth fixing rather then replacing them (I have 3 working MDD machines).

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
I think it take some more time before people are willing to pay $100 to refurb a broken MDD power supply when they can buy complete units for that amount. I have 3 dead MDD PS in my garage waiting for the day that it will be worth fixing rather then replacing them (I have 3 working MDD machines).
This is true as far as it goes. By that, I mean the difference is that when you buy a used MDD, you have NO idea where it's been or how hard / long it's been used. Your "new" replacement PSU may last years or weeks - it's a crapshoot. A newly refurbed PSU, on the other hand, is likely to last quite a while.

The other advantage, of course, is that you also get other parts to keep on the shelf as well, although after you've collected 2 or 3 extra motherboards and other stuff that is NOT prone to breakdowns, you're at the point where you're just running a junkyard.

…sez me…another hoarder with multiple MDDs, Cinema Displays, PowerBooks and a thousand or so miscellaneous small parts laying around…

macStuff

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:29 PM »
speaking of temperature..
its been in the negative -20s here where i live the last few days
my windshield washer fluid froze... lucky it didnt rupture the line