Author Topic: disable journalling on seritek-volumes?  (Read 4176 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
disable journalling on seritek-volumes?
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
after i have noticed that i have speed problems with one of my firewire volumes because journalling was turned on by accident, i turned that off, and at the same time i noticed that in my other mac there is a journalled volume on a seritek-connected volume - and that disk utility (10.4) does not allow to turn journalling off for these internal SATA volumes.

so, is there a way to do it?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: disable journalling on seritek-volumes?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
oh, apple says that with 10.4 the option to tur it off is only available in the menubar of disk copy and no longer with the green icon in the window.. and it is only visible when you hold alt ... that is weird, who needs that safety standard in a client OS?
but that explains why i rembered it to be possible.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
also seems that diskutility does not work at all in single user mode. that inlcludes terminal commands.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:39 PM »
For newbies, Journaling is similar to the TTS (Transaction Tracking System) that was originally created in the Netware File System back in 1998.

A simple explanation of this addition to a filesystem is that all writes are logged in a table and any incomplete writes to the disk (in the event of a crash); can be backed out and the File system will "roll back" to the last know good state.  This is accomplished by various checks to the "Journal" that indicate which file I/O tasks were not flagged as complete at the time of power loss of system crash. 

Sounds great !!  Sign me up !... Well, all good things incur a price, Audio Volumes should have journaling turns OFF since it adds overhead to the system that is not desired.  In fact, if you own a battery backup, you may want to turn it off all data volumes since this will speed up the system and your odds of a "Power Loss" go way down. 

Also, in the real world, corrupted volumes that were journaled are harder to mount and repair than non-journaled ones in my experience.  That is to say if the file system starts getting messed up (from a failing HD) the non-journaled volumes at least mount most of the time and data is retrievable.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:39:41 AM »
right, one should not use it for volumes mostly used with OS9, linux or windows, and it probably makes the most sense only to activate it on the OSX startup volume.

however, i am glad that it has nothing to do with SATA :)