Author Topic: Need Noise Reduction software: Bias Soundsoap  (Read 6221 times)

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
Need Noise Reduction software: Bias Soundsoap
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
I'm busy digitalising audiotapes and vinyl on my Quicksilver. And actually I'm in the wrong place here for this cause I use OSX 10.4.11.. but i don't know were to ask this question elsewhere.

So i use Bias Peak 5.2 on a M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Now i want to use some noise reduction and found out that i probably need Soundsoap (Pro) 2. But i'm unable to find it, nor on ebay and other 2nd hand sites nor on some other not quite legal ways....  :-[

Does someone know a way to buy this older software?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Need Noise Reduction software: Bias Soundsoap
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Soundsoap is somewhat rare and not often found in the wild. Also, it phones home and requires an up-to-date ser# and a challenge/response matched to the owner of record. I bought a legit copy from a legit owner and I will still have to get the ownership transferred. There is still a Bias website that maintains auths for Peak, Soundsoap and Master Perfection Suite.

If there's a krack out there somewhere, I don't know of it. Evidently nobody want the damn app badly enough to navigate the Russian minefields.

If you're just transferring vinyl and processing average noise levels, there are alternatives. Amadeus Pro has a pretty good noise removal function and there are others as well.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
I believe it came with final cut pro as a light version. Also a encoder package had it as a trial version. Let me dig up my stuff i have it on my avid packages.

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
Amadeus... heard of that one, but never tried it. Don't know if I have that somewhere in my software stash. As I'm a collector of old Computers and Software, I own a lot of stuff.

FinalCut i certainly have. Also some AVID software. I will spit trough those tonight.

Also have ProTools, but that version won't run on 10.4. Need older OS for that.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »
soundsoap is easily available, but as you said it is for OSX. what would still support OS9 are the denoisers from waves or steinberg. the latter is a more simple one, an fft-based noisegate with a learn functionl but does its job well and in my opinion soundsoap doesnt sound better with most material.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 09:57:45 AM »
Just spitting trough my backup harddisk and found some software. Amadeus II, Felt Tip Sound Studio 2.0 and Cubase VST 5 (the last one only runs on classic, the other two even on 10.6.8 ).

oooohhh an a lot of games...

/Edit: just played whit those 2. Sound Studio 2 is a very simplified software, olny cost 49,99 and the new version only 29,99. Amadeus is a little older, has noise filters, but hard to handle, not at that easy. And the results are not what i had in mind, but that could be cause the handling. Did not played whit Cubase yet.

But i also found a demo version of Soundsoap 2. Will give it also a try.

.Edit2: just googled Cubase 5 an found out it is from 2009, but mine is much older and only runs on Classic, so it must be Cubase VST 5.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:07:50 AM by Roman78 »

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »

i have sound soap with Bias XT 5 package which i purchased years ago.  I use it from time to time.  When there were problems with my Bias XT 5 on OSX 10.10 i contacted Soundness, the successor of Bias Peak and they sent me Peak Pro 6 for free. There some tweaks you have to do with the scratch disk, permissions etc but its still working this day on the OSX 10.11

I did like SoundSoap for ease of use but i have found that less is more with the denoiser. Decrackle/pop etc i tend to surgically rather than across the whole waveform as it can be aggressive on transients and plucks

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
and be careful not to destroy your old recordings with over-audiomastering. always keep the original digital converted file, too. :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:18:48 AM »
i just noticed that soundsoap 2 is not even running on PPC anymore.

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
It should do. In the specs it says: G4, G5 or Intel Based Mac, 500 Mhz or more.