Author Topic: Unknown Daystar card on eBay - can anyone identify  (Read 6672 times)

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
Unknown Daystar card on eBay - can anyone identify
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
hi,
anyone identify this Daystar board?  it has too sockets nubus and PDS??
unusual and i can't identify it from the known Daystar boards out there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282510498412

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: Unknown Daystar card on eBay - can anyone identify
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
Its a PC compatibility card. A PC on a Nubus card ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
Actually, it's a Daystar PowerPro 80MHz, PowerPC 601 upgrade for Quadras with full-length slots:

http://lowendmac.com/daystar/pages/dsd_products/upgrades/601/pwrpro80spec.html

The one in the auction doesn't have the cache daughterboard or a Nubus backplate.  I own one of these, but mine is defective (likely a bad voltage regulator).  Mine has the cache daughterboard and Nubus backplate however.  I hope to repair mine eventually.

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:47:54 AM »
thanks
very rare card it seems

Offline jt

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »
The one in the auction doesn't have the cache daughterboard or a Nubus backplate.  I own one of these, but mine is defective (likely a bad voltage regulator).  Mine has the cache daughterboard and Nubus backplate however.

Very interesting, any chance you could post pics? I'm very curious to see what a NuBus backplate might do.
jt - old school vector graphics type - Sound/VidCap n00b.

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
interesting!

this brings to mind an article i just read:
http://applemuseum.bott.org/sections/ppc.html

"The problem was that it didn't run much in native code. The immense power of the PowerPC was being wasted on 68k instruction sets instead of blazing through native PowerPC instructions"

i wonder if this would have been a worthwhile upgrade at the time, considering most software back then was definately 68k native code. is it the general rule that performance on a powerpc cpu would be 3-4 times as fast as on a 68040 cpu? even with the need to translate the instructions?

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
The one in the auction doesn't have the cache daughterboard or a Nubus backplate.  I own one of these, but mine is defective (likely a bad voltage regulator).  Mine has the cache daughterboard and Nubus backplate however.

Very interesting, any chance you could post pics? I'm very curious to see what a NuBus backplate might do.

Here is a link to a photo of my card:

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii607/SpawnedFromTheEther/Daystar%20PowerPro%2080MHz.jpg

All I meant was that it has the proper metal alignment plate mounted that centers it in the rear slot opening.  Note the cache card present.

I replaced the garbage plastic heatsink retention pins/springs (three of which broke) with nuts and bolts.  I used insulating washers on the back and had to move one capacitor slightly.  The fan bracket is not mounted in my photo, but I do have it.  The fan had also failed and been replaced.  There is a jumper near the back of the card which can be used to disable the card during boot.  During testing I actually attached a switch with a length of wire so it was easier to change modes.  If I ever manage to repair this card I would permanently mount a switch by drilling a hole through the Nubus backplate.  I'm awaiting a shipment of LT1085 voltage regulators from eBay so I can see if it is the existing regulator that has failed.  This won't be an easy replacement since the entire back of the regulator is soldered to the board.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
Great news on my card, BTW.  I received the new voltage regulator in the mail a couple days ago and replaced it today.  The card is now working for the first time ever since I got it many years ago!  It's currently testing inside a Quadra 950 with an additional 64MB RAM onboard the Daystar booting System 7.5.  I have system patches in my software archive that are supposed to allow this machine to run OS 8.5.1, 8.6 or 9.1 also with the Daystar enabled.  If it can boot 9.1 then technically this machine isn't off-topic for this forum! ;)