Author Topic: What did you do with your PowerPC Mac today?  (Read 43920 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: What did you do with your PowerPC Mac today?
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2022, 08:24:12 AM »
Coding and listening to some web radio on my MDD while I'm writing this. It's a good old OS 9 sunday in Sweden ;)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2024, 12:31:56 AM »
"What did you do with your PowerPC Mac today?"

Nothing much of a big deal, just coding some test projects in the first pre-release of REALbasic 1.0 (F1), and seeing how compatible it is with its predecessor, CrossBasic, which can compile not just 68k/PPC GUI apps from the same code base, but also even Java (unlike any REALbasic version). The answer? Very compatible, you can straight up use the REALbasic F1 docs and then switch over to CrossBasic and type the code you see in.

Too bad there's only an early developer version of it floating around (DR1r7) instead of anything newer, although I noticed Garden's @gingerbeardman's Japanese Magazine CD dumps have newer versions of it (DR1r22 and an unspecified "DR1" release) flying around, which I plan to try out soon.

Did I ever say how much REALbasic kicks ass? It kicks SERIOUS ass, especially 5.5.5, it went on to show how much of a joke mainstream dev tools really are in comparison (ahem, in many ways, but not all). Yet, REALbasic is such an underdog fame-wise, especially outside the Mac context. Perhaps if they didn't ditch away Mac OS support as early as they did, they would have had better success. ;) ;)

I wish I had tried REALbasic sooner than this. I'm really late to the ride. But man, what a nice breeze this ride gives!

Essentially, what makes it so great is that if you DO want to make something, but you don't have the time, OR mood, to set up a whole C app, just quickly slap it together with REALbasic. And automagically targets WHAT?! Mac OS, OS X, Windows and x86 GNU/Linux. And that too NATIVELY, no runtime or VM bullshit. Just unbelievable. (GNU one does require QT 2.0+ and some other crap that is often already there by default, however).

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2024, 01:33:19 PM »
Installed a new SATA drive and ran the OS9Lives setup on my Quicksilver Dual 1.0Ghz. Now doing the file copy off the spinning disk SATA. . . . which will take 2 hours according to Finder. . . .
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline StarExplorer

• Be kind to each other
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2024, 07:24:23 PM »
I upgraded my mouse today :D I had been using the circular "puck" mouse from the iMac G3. I went to my storage unit today to get an old Power Mac of mine, and dug around a little and found a clear Pro Mouse, which I only have the vaguest memory of even having. TBH, I didn't remember that I had one. It's definitely taking some getting used to, but at least I don't have to look at it anymore in order to know which way it's oriented LOL. Now I don't have to buy one like I almost did hahaha :D

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2024, 12:38:52 AM »
Edited the latest episode of my car podcast on my MDD in Pro Tools TDM 5.1.3cs11. Love that rig :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2024, 12:54:24 PM »
Spent half a day checking Mini 1.25/1.42/1.5 compatibility with several modern(ish) Dell displays. What a mess..
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2024, 02:59:53 AM »
Spent half a day checking Mini 1.25/1.42/1.5 compatibility with several modern(ish) Dell displays. What a mess..

My DELL U2412M monitor hates the 1.5GHz mini, but fully cooperates with the 1.25/1.42GHz model in full 16:10 resolution (1920x1200@60Hz). I was able to hack things around (as I once described in the mini thread) to get it to work with the 1.5GHz one, but even then it's stuck at 1600x1200@60Hz resolution instead (4:3) with black borders on the sides, and on top of that it causes some games to break at fullscreen because they try to use the 16:10 resolution instead, or some other "forbidden" resolution.

I regret not taking the 1.42GHz mini with me instead of the 1.5GHz one when I (again and again) shifted countries.

This issue probably also happens with the 1.33GHz mini. It is most likely due to the slightly more recent firmware that those "silent upgrade" models have. These few changes throw off the mini hacks by quite a bit. There are also NVRAM persistency issues in those.

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2024, 04:46:50 AM »
My DELL U2412M monitor hates the 1.5GHz mini, ..

I'll start a new thread about this.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.