Author Topic: What did you do with your PowerPC Mac today?  (Read 41807 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: What did you do with your PowerPC Mac today?
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
OMS setup is mostly automatic but still hard to grasp what happens and why.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline damo-blak

• Valued Member
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2021, 04:39:31 PM »
I got rid of some files from the Asio Directory,
it worked no more crashing,thanks for that die hard:)

got cubase 4 and 5 working now,
just a few problems with my roland soundcard driver to iron out now!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
Excellent :)

Offline lepidotos

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2021, 11:41:49 AM »
I'm using it right now to use OS9L. I'm using Safari (since this laptop has Cheetah), so it was either this or an acmlmboard forum. Can't really do a whole lot with 10.3.9, and I've been trying to install 9.2 for the last few days, and if I get there I'll install Tiger and switch between the two whenever I need to. 9 is still my favorite, it's just that Classilla doesn't really like many websites anymore and a few games were 10 only (SimCity 4 comes to mind). My unique circumstances mean that for modern day tasks, this laptop is my best option. Otherwise, I could always use the Pentium II with 96 megabytes of RAM sitting to its immediate left. I like that computer, but its CD drive doesn't work and it doesn't have any USB drivers for me to get stuff on it, so I have no way to put stuff on it besides piping things over through floppies, which I at least do have a box of.
Might try out the new version of Haiku for fun later on down the line. I have it installed on an old Dell Inspiron that's sitting in a self-storage right now, but that install is beta 2 and I've been itching to try B3 out.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2021, 07:04:15 AM »
gotta rebuild a bunch of old audio plug-ins and one of my VST hosts to make the code more efficient and more compatible with future... pardon: current systems.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:08 AM »
I’m writing a program that deletes attributes from HTML files. You make a settings file like this:
Code: [Select]
td:valign
img:alt,width,height
p:class
and then it deletes those attributes at the highest speed.

Offline Rosetta

• Valued Member
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2021, 05:22:52 PM »
Finally finished this minimal techno remix of a friend's track that I've been poring over for the past few days. Turned out very nice. Currently moving it over to my (modern) MacBook for mastering.
Power Mac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz / TASCAM FW-1804

Offline lepidotos

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2021, 11:28:50 PM »
My PowerPC Macs are my main computers, so any computing tasks I do, I do through either them or my cheap, terrible cell phone, but the phone is only on YouTube and router duty because the web on phones sucks. I'm writing this post right now on my iBook G3 booted into 9.2.2, honestly astounded by the fact it reports another 39 minutes of battery life left, about an hour overall. I should get an SSD in it sometime to try to get that number even higher before I get around to repacking the battery, which I want to get done at some point, this laptop is probably my favorite laptop I've ever used. Though, I am considering eventually coming into a posession of a 14" G4 1.42 and using that for OS X, leaving this one for OS 9... I'll have to see if I can get one under $60.
The iMac is currently being used to draw graphics and access more strenuous, JS-heavy websites that even 10.4Fx couldn't handle. Stuff like Google web-apps and all that, but I feel like something is wrong with it because A. it's strangely sluggish compared to even Tiger on my other machines that are generally considered not super amazing Tiger computers (or YouTube videos of iMac G5s running Linux) even on lightweight WMs like IceWM, and B. it has a strange RAM reading of 1870 MB... which I can't really seem to make with any combination of common RAM sizes.
On the PMG4 front, a couple days ago, I got a GeForce4 MX 440 that was pulled from probably a QS, that said it was a working unit, and technically it booted when I threw it in my G4 with higher refresh rates and resolutions (sure, the MX 440 isn't a great card, but it's better than the Rage 128 with a whole 8 MB VRAM that probably is broken because I can't find reference online to anyone else that has an 8 MB Rage 128 card) but Quake III wouldn't run and trying to install the Nvidia drivers in OS 9 makes it freeze during boot. Also, blue and yellow lines show up all over the screen. So I wouldn't exactly call it "working", the most benefit of the doubt I can give it is that it got bumped in the mail. $15 I suppose could have been far worse, but it'd have been nice to receive a card I can install and forget.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:45:31 PM by lepidotos »

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2021, 11:32:36 AM »
I wrote a C++ program which searches multiple strings and replaces them in one pass. I had already such a program, but this one is better and comes in 4 versions (case (in)sensitive, diacritics (in)sensitive). It’s faster and it calculates how much memory it needs instead of asking an upper limit.

I finished the conversion of all my HTML pages to C macros, and that’s almost 1600 pages. Much could be done by one of my programs, but it required many manual corrections.

I maintain now 780 finished projects.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2021, 02:28:30 AM »
I figured out how Finder stores the window view settings.

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2021, 06:51:48 AM »
I made a few memes with Photoshop.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
Nice OS923!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2021, 07:59:05 AM »
Tracked some acoustic GEEEtar... adding a vocal later today. My daughter wanted me to record a version of the Leonard Cohen tune  'Halelujah' for a Christmas gift. ;D

Offline Petros90

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
I finally cracked how to boot between OS9.2.2, OSX Panther and OSX Tiger on my G3 B&W.

- Using a preconfigured SSD supplied by FdB all the way from the USA - which originally would not boot back into OS9.
Solution after much head-cudgelling was to replace the System Folder with a new one

Today's head-cudgelling -

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,6225.0.html

G3 B&W Rev. 2, 400MHz, 1GB RAM.
1 x 120GB SSD triple-booting OS9.2.2, OSX Panther, OSX Tiger.
Bought new in 1999 with 256MB RAM and lots of extras

Offline lepidotos

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2022, 05:16:57 PM »

This image will only look weird to some of you. Also, the 640x480 windowboxing is anmoying, but it's just a driver thing. Now this iBook is triple-booting 9.2.2, Jaguar, and Tiger, but it still needs drivers and to go through the first boot setup.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 06:00:35 PM by lepidotos »

Offline adrianrmarsh

• new to the forums
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2022, 03:43:01 AM »
Having realised that I was unhappy with having both Mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.4.11 on one HD (as a result of a complicated reinstall a while back), I took the plunge and erased the HD, partitioned it and reinstalled Mac OS 9.2.2 (UK edition) and Mac OS X 10.2.8, to see the difference between that and 10.4.11, which worked quite well, but was a tad slow really. I have found a DVD/CD drive for my Pismo that actually reads CD's, so after years of having only DVD's to use as install disks, I was able to install 10.2 from my own previous disks and back-ups from way back when. It's nice (though only as a change, briefly from OS 9), though the Mail app is not able to connect at this point (which may make me go up to 10.3 or back to 10.4, as I do like to use email on my vintage Pismo and only with a dual boot, OS X machine do I find that possible to connect to my Mac dot com mail).
Having done all that, I then turned to writing a short history of Romani and Traveller people in Wales for a cultural heritage project I'm working on with the Welsh government, all in Office 2001. Not bad for a twenty-two year-old laptop!

Offline OS923

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2022, 10:58:38 AM »
I got an aversion to REALbasic and I removed everything that reminds me of it after I saw that a simple TCP connection was crawling at 200 K/s.

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »
Got my Sawtooth booting again (seems some RAM had gone back), put in an RME HDSP card and a Powercore. Not really sure how I feel about the Powercore. It's not that the effects sound bad, they're just not very versatile or creative.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »
Not really sure how I feel about the Powercore. It's not that the effects sound bad, they're just not very versatile or creative.

Yes, no real VIs and the Powercore 01 is not very inspiring...
However, the Powercore has one of the best compressors in the OS9 (24/7 C), awesome reverbs, and modulation; all of which, use up almost none of the Mac's CPU

And of course, the Master X3, if your lucky enough under Mac OS 9, is hands down, the best mastering MutiBand Compressor

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1146.0.html

More stuff on Master X3:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2191.0.html

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2022, 03:54:37 PM »
its purpose is to do the bread and butter stuff there, with the result that you have your native CPU cycles free for the creative things.

also, it is basically the only proper traditional GEQ plug-in available for OS9.