Author Topic: Targeting Mac OS with Codewarrior  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
Targeting Mac OS with Codewarrior
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:17:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just came across the codewarrior guide for targetting mac os. It shows how to set up a bunch of different project types such as applications, shared libraries, cfm68k shared libraries, and more. Here it is.http://web.uvic.ca/~ncs/406/HTML/Targeting_MacOS/MAC000_Front.fm.html While I am sure that some of the people here know about this already, it is still a good idea to collect programming documentation and make it more accessible to everyone.

I posted this in the Hacking the System subforum because there is no subforum here devoted to programming and developing macintosh software (yet). I propose that someone make a subforum for that. Having people develop new Mac OS 9 software will help the community thrive and grow.

Mac OS 9 Lives,
Daniel

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Targeting Mac OS with Codewarrior
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 11:53:59 AM »
You might wanna download the 2 codewarrior cds and have a closer look at them. The documentation cd is loaded with information, examples and books in pdf form.

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
I just looked at it. I hadn't noticed the "Codewarrior Documentation" folder. I had only noticed the "Codewarrior Books" folder. Oops. Still, it would be a good idea to get all the documentation in one place. In particular, the SDKs for Firewire, USB, and Multiprocessing are rather hard to find. It would be great to be able to just get them from somewhere instead of looking all over the place and coming up empty handed.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
Since this is your area of expertise why dont you collect and put up a repo or upload here. Name a few thing for the novice to help looking and collecting.  Otherwise its like open google but you dont know what to look for.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
there has been alteady another request here about 1 years ago for additional development kits which are _not in the bundle which you could download from apple until recently.

we should try to get the missing parts together one day.

this reminds me that i always wanted to have the photoshop 3.x plug-in development kit :P
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
Here are a few suggestions for things to look for:

Things to read:
•all of "inside macintosh", with particular emphasis on the "Human Interface Guidelines" and "Toolbox Essentials" books

•All the various books and documentation from CodeWarrior.

Programs to get:
•Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW). This is a command line development enviroment. I have no clue how to use it, but it can presumably be very useful if you can find good documentation on it.

•Codewarrior. This is a IDE for all things Mac (and more). You can make many types of programs in it. Try and research a bit before picking what version of Codewarrior to use. Some of the higher numbered versions can't make make every type of program.

•Resedit 2.1.3: This lets you create and edit resource forks of files. You can often use it to customize your system and applications. Be careful with this. Try to only edit files that you have made a backup copy for, so that you can restore them if there is a problem.

•BBEdit: This is very good for modifying the data forks of files. You can open just about anything with it. It is very useful for looking at the internal format of things provided that they are somewhat human-readable.

•Filetype: This lets you change the file type and creator codes of files. This can be useful for cases when you want to change how a file is interpreted by the system. Note that changing the file type does not change the underlying format of a file. Trying to interpret a mp3 as a PICT will probably fail (and possibly crash the system, depending on how the interpreter for the file handles bogus data).

These are just suggestions. I do not have a comprehensive list of everything needed. There are just so many things to look for.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
...? :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
That previous post I made was in response to devils_advisor suggesting I collect a list of things for novices to look for. You happened to post while I was writing it.