Author Topic: Classic "Legacy" Developer Documentation  (Read 4001 times)

Offline AphoticD

• Newcomer
Classic "Legacy" Developer Documentation
« on: June 01, 2017, 05:07:57 AM »
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but while (unsuccessfully) hunting for Leopard Core Library documentation I found a tome of Apple's "Legacy" developer documentation (packaged in 2011) which contains articles and source code dating back to about 1990 covering many dev topics. One interesting tidbit  that might be useful is the source code for a Carbon PowerPC PCI 'ndrv' driver loading/unloading application for testing / debugging drivers without needing to reboot.

The "Legacy" download is a .docset package in .xar format (use "xar -xf filename.xar" terminal command to unarchive). This can be loaded into Xcode on a more recent Mac (Leopard or above) or you can view the doc index in a web browser by navigating through to Contents/Resources/Documents/index.html

Point your download manager to:
http://devimages.apple.com/docsets/20110309/com.apple.adc.documentation.AppleLegacy.CoreReference.xar
(937.8MB expands to 2.06GB)

I have no experience with classic Mac OS driver programming, but in the right hands, these docs may help someone?

Keep up the great work!
-AphoticD

P.S. None of my PPC macs are yet to be supported by your unsupported release efforts. If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to let me know.

My PowerPC machines are:
> PowerBook G4: 6,8 (12inch 1.5Ghz) 5,6 (15inch 1.5Ghz) and 5,7 (17inch 1.67Ghz)
> Mac mini G4: 10,1 (1.42Ghz)
> Power Mac G5: 7,2 (2x1.8Ghz, 2x2.0Ghz) and 11,2 (2x 2.3Ghz)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: Classic "Legacy" Developer Documentation
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:53 AM »
Thanks, this maybe useful, as far as figuring out why the NDRV from the Graphics Chips in the iBook( Powerbook6,7) Radeon 9550, and PowerBook6,8 Geforce5200Go, don't load in OS 9.

Downloading now, I'll let you know what I find.

BTW almost go the PowerBook6,8 going in OS 9.......

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:40:03 AM »
hmmm.....

No makefile or Xcode Project file.

The change history seem to indicate  it should build in Code Warror :

Code: [Select]
Change History (most recent first):
                8/3/1999    Karl Groethe    Updated for Metrowerks Codewarror Pro 2.1

Does anyone have an old cory about that they could try and build this with?

I don't have it, and have never used it, tho I suppose it's high time I learned. I've used MPW but it's been over 15 years and I don't remember much.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:50:49 AM by darthnVader »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
I found a tome of Apple's "Legacy" developer documentation (packaged in 2011) which contains articles and source code dating back to about 1990 covering many dev topics.

Thanks. It has lot of documentation, but don't get fooled that it has everything, because is so big. But inice add on for another documentations that was available in net.