Author Topic: iMac fan replacement?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
iMac fan replacement?
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Okay, I know this is not a MDD kind of thing, or a tower sort of thing. but I am seeing conflicting information online.

I have a 17" iMac G4 1 Ghz (non-USB 2.0) and that fan is noisy in a quiet room, whereas my G4 MDD 1.25 Dual is whisper quiet by comparison after replacing all fans with modern Noctua fans.

I have already replaced the stock IDE drive with a SATA drive using a SATA to IDE adapter. I have replaced the internal RAM with a 1 GB module. But the fan is still stock.

I have read it was designed to pull air from all sides, and no matter what size you put in there it will not be enough to pull enough air through to prevent overheating. But then on enthusiast sites I have been told that info is incorrect and that you can replace it with something like a Noctua and it will be fine.

I wonder if anyone here knows the definitive answer.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: iMac fan replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:38:25 AM »
hi Torvan what Noctua fans have you used in your MDD machine. Which 120mm fan? and what PS fans?
Thanks

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
NF-S12A 120MM for the main fan. You will have to splice some wires though or use a 4 pin to Molex adapter.

As for the smaller power supply fans, those are NF-A6x25 5V fans. For them I used a 3 pin to Molex adapter.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:59:27 AM »
Thanks Torvan - I'll take a look to see if they have any around here.