Author Topic: Radeon 9800 Pro  (Read 442 times)

Offline Alexbt

• new to the forums
Radeon 9800 Pro
« on: May 27, 2017, 10:20:50 PM »
My preliminary research shows no luck, but is there no way to get 3D acceleration working in OS 9 for a Radeon 9800 Pro?
I guess it was BTO in the 2003 MDD G4 I'm using. This was supposed to be my dual boot gaming G4. :/

ATI Video Accelerator of course hangs the system on startup and must be force quit/disabled.
My 3D accelerated games do detect the extensions but hang on launch.

I found some drivers from October 2002 but they didn't do anything.
I did read somewhere there is a driver update from 2005 that works in OS 9--hoping I might be able to track that down.
Also curious if there's a non-exact but compatible driver from something that uses the same chip.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Radeon 9800 Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »
We have other topics about this card...

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2438.0

From Nova:
ive just compared this once more to the 8500 radeon and it no comparison -- the 8500 is much better as its properly supported... so the radeon 9800 pro is basically only usefull for mac os x.
its really too bad that they couldnt have extended support for these cards.. given they were released in 2004 and mac os 9 was still very much being used at that point... cheap companies.. :D

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 02:41:16 AM »
The gist of it is that if it's new enough to support Core Image (which a Radeon 9800 definitely is), there are no OS 9 drivers for proper acceleration, as much as I hate to admit it.

I can think of a potential workaround, but it complicates things by adding a PCI graphics card to the system just for OS 9 use, while the AGP slot continues to pack something powerful with Core Image support for OS X.

This hinges on different vendors for the AGP and PCI cards, too; word is that enabling the ATI extensions with a R300-series card or later really bogs things down compared to just leaving them off.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
Just to reiterate, the best Mac OS 9 card is the TI4600... hands down :)