Author Topic: MIMAKI PLOTTER/CUTTER DRIVER  (Read 8562 times)

Offline Andrewg6678

• Newcomer
MIMAKI PLOTTER/CUTTER DRIVER
« on: May 22, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Im trying to find a printer driver for a Mimaki Pro Series GC-5 that will work on a mac in OS9.
Ive googled, checked out both Aus and global mimaki sites but nothing... surely this exists somewhere?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: MIMAKI PLOTTER/CUTTER DRIVER
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
Just because this is probably the most off-the-wall item I've seen here in quite a while, I spent a few minutes researching and the following generated itself:

Mimaki, a very vertical market manufacturer in Singapore, appears to have run it products on and written software for Windows OS only.
Try as I might, I cannot find any reference to a "Mimaki Pro series GC-5" anything.
There IS a long-obsolete model CG-5 plotter which I'll have to assume is what you're talking about. Hopefully you've been searching for that and the "GC" reference here is just a typo.
There doesn't however, appear to even be a Windows driver anymore for that product, let alone a Mac OS9 one.

So, when you say: "surely this exists somewhere?", I can only ask: Why in the world do you think that?
Again, I find zero evidence there was ever a Mac OS-anything for any Mimaki product.
Admittedly, possibly stranger things have happened, but I think you're chasing a ghost.

Offline Andrewg6678

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:26:43 PM »
Apologies yes, GC-5 was a typo. It is in fact a CG-5. And thank you for your reply.

And apologies if my post seems "off the wall" but I am not a technology guru, but a graphic designer and signmaker.

I have inherited this machine from a friend and can assure you this was running on a Mac, and using OS9.

The cutting software used for this machine was called FineCut 8 and Mimaki still have the Finecut 8 software for Mac available own their site, but for OSX. Mimaki no longer have the 0S9 Driver which is why I have posted it here in the hope that someone might know something.

This is why, in passing commented that 'surely it exists somewhere' as it once upon a time did in fact exist, despite your results not finding anything. The drivers for Windows are available in the discontinued products section of the Mimaki website, despite you finding zero evidence.

http://www.mimakiaus.com.au/product/software/cutting/fine-cut8-ai/software.html?software=102115

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:58:05 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
http://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut8-ai/software.html?software=81300

scroll to the bottom and grab it before it is gone.
follow instructions in the included readme

http://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut8-ai/download.html

FineCut for Illustrator | Software | MIMAKImimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut-ai/download.htmlFurther enhancing the potentiality of CG and CF series. FineCut8 responding to highly sophisticated design needs.

FineCut for Illustrator | Software | MIMAKIhttps://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut-ai/software.html?software...Supported OS, Mac OS 8. Mac OS 9 (9.2.2) Mac OS X. Remarks. Windows 98 Windows Me Windows 2000 Windows XP(32bit). Supported Software, FineCut for ...

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »
http://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut8-ai/software.html?software=81300

scroll to the bottom and grab it before it is gone.
follow instructions in the included readme

http://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut8-ai/download.html

FineCut for Illustrator | Software | MIMAKImimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut-ai/download.htmlFurther enhancing the potentiality of CG and CF series. FineCut8 responding to highly sophisticated design needs.

FineCut for Illustrator | Software | MIMAKIhttps://mimaki.com/product/software/cutting/fine-cut-ai/software.html?software...Supported OS, Mac OS 8. Mac OS 9 (9.2.2) Mac OS X. Remarks. Windows 98 Windows Me Windows 2000 Windows XP(32bit). Supported Software, FineCut for ...

These are great! However, they'll all demand the original FineCut CD-ROM to work. We now can at least tell what Illustrator versions are needed.
We now see that "FineCut 8" is actually an Illustrator plug-in and not a "driver".
It's probable that your CG-5 simply talks and listens to Postscript under the control of the Finecut-Illustrator plugin.

Your job now is to find the original FineCut CD-ROM, and get a copy or an image to run the upgrade.

I would:

Communicate nicely with the folks at Mimaki and see if you can establish a time window of when the stuff was current. Was it current when you saw it working or already "obsolete"?
Then, warm up your telephone personality and call all of the Dealers in Aus and NZ. Find the software nerd at each and beg nicely for any info you can get. Not just from the "new" guy, but the old-timers who might remember this stuff and might even have a copy of what you need.
Also, see if there are any independent Mimaki servicers you can reach. They would have needed / may still have the software for repair and testing of the CG-5.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
Andrewg6678 sounded a bit like me coming on here asking for a cup-o'-software please, for my FW400 Epson 10600. But, big surprise... a friend that I haven't spoken with for years may in fact have one of these plotter/cutters and I'm certain that he's got the original software package(s). [I tried to convert/convince him over to the Mac-side often, but always to no avail.]

I've still a slight scar on my upper lip from helping move that damned thing into his shop.

So, while I can't promise anything, I'll check with him and report if I've any possible good news.

If not, good luck indeed.

My MDD's not sick, it's merely "computationally challenged". ???
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
Wow! That would indeed be something.    "we are the champions……" OS9Lives!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »
I linked to a trial version which may contain the drivers.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 06:00:37 AM »
Wow... nice work guys!! OS9Lives does INDEED rock!!! ;D ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »
I have inherited this machine from a friend and can assure you this was running on a Mac, and using OS9.

both, evidence and the complete ignorance of evidence have their pro and cons.

it could be that both of you are right and that this cutter can work on os9 without the existence of an official driver.

some old plotters or cutters can be run on os9 with third-party drivers the same way the majority of unsupported scanners can do: if you connect some cheap scanner to a mac you will find out that many of them are compatible with drivers from agfa or mustek.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
Sorry, no dice on that friend's cutter/plotter software/CD's. (Different manufacturer.) However he did supply a source (for his problems... replacement boards, drivers, etc.). And this source deals with many manufacturers/models.

http://www.thecmcdoctor.com/thecmcdoctor_home.htm

Happy hunting.
This Must Be The Place

Offline Andrewg6678

• Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
Thanks for your help Fury de Bongo!

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
Just a few additional ideas…
If you’ve still no access to the previous OS 9 machine that ran this device and you can’t find the driver elsewhere via Mimaki sites (some references are noted via European Mimaki sites per a Google search, but I can’t seem to access these “older” euro docs/sites/references)… and your search has proved futile up to this point. I would begin contacting established (older) print and especially sign shops throughout your area or region (Australia? New Zealand?).

I know a great deal of these older, crotchety denizens of the graphics industry, while they may be both older AND crotchety, they’re often not such bad people and will sometimes help you in either providing, or in helping you to find that which you seek. (Of course, I’ve no idea why I would state such a thing.)

Anyway, your intended end-use of this machine and whether or not you’re going to utilize a RIP or simple direct feed to this device has some bearing upon what you may actually need in order to use it for your specific needs. (Some software RIP packages did also include device drivers for various machines.)

Ad astra per aspera. Or as Leo Burnett (Chicago ad agency) said: “When you reach for the stars you may not always get one, but you won’t end up with a hand full of mud either.”

Still sorry I couldn't be of more immediate help.
This Must Be The Place

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 02:33:05 PM »
Install that trial version and see if that gives you the drivers.