Author Topic: Really remove OS X from OS 9 drive  (Read 5324 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Really remove OS X from OS 9 drive
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »
I had my OS X DVD in the drive, and, thinking he was doing me a favor, my son installed OS X on my MDD. I thought about killing him, but he looked so apologetic for fraking with Dad's old machine, it melted my heart and then some.

So I deleted the obvious files, but when I fired up Greg's Browser I saw a ton of OS X hidden files and folders in addition to the OS 9.2.2 hidden files and folders.

I know which are which, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find a way to Trash/Delete those files. No option in Greg's Browser to do it, no amount of dragging them to the Trash works, and a full backup and recovery would just bring those hidden files back again. Formatting and reinstalling is the last possible tool and something I really do not want to do if I do not have to.

Resedit only let's me work on individual files, and always quits with a Type 1 error when I try to access one of those files.

Ideas?
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Really remove OS X from OS 9 drive
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Make your son restore it. He will learn 2 lessons. How to repair that and dont fix what aint broken.

As you have an MDD, take another drive, dragndrop the important files to other drive and reformat that drive.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
if you have a external osx drive with a bootable installation you can delete everything you dont need from there with more sophisticated tools like forklift and so on.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
just kill him
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »
I think he start with the premise of not killing him.
I thought about killing him, but he looked so apologetic for fraking with Dad's old machine, it melted my heart and then some.

Maybe something for not melting hearts?

This accident have bring me memories about when I had 14 years and used one of these apps (datadoubler?) for doubling the capacity on the hard drives on the first '90s. I tough that I could use 2 apps of these at the same time. It ended with all the data corrupted, my bigger brother crying for loosing some engineering papers he lost and I ended punished to not use the computer (286) for months. They even put a password on the BIOS...
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
I think he start with the premise of not killing him.
I thought about killing him, but he looked so apologetic for fraking with Dad's old machine, it melted my heart and then some.

Maybe something for not melting hearts?

This accident have bring me memories about when I had 14 years and used one of these apps (datadoubler?) for doubling the capacity on the hard drives on the first '90s. I tough that I could use 2 apps of these at the same time. It ended with all the data corrupted, my bigger brother crying for loosing some engineering papers he lost and I ended punished to not use the computer (286) for months. They even put a password on the BIOS...

they should still lock the machine with a password :D

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:45:13 AM »
just kill him

No, I love my son way too much to really mean "kill him."  It is just one of those terms meaning "Dad was pissed off at him"
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:49:06 AM »
Make your son restore it. He will learn 2 lessons. How to repair that and dont fix what aint broken.

As you have an MDD, take another drive, dragndrop the important files to other drive and reformat that drive.

I wound up getting another drive from an old Windows machine I was parting out. Then just installed OS 9 on it and dragged/dropped the apps.

My son sat there with me, amazed at the entire process but was stunned at the long time it all took, and told me "Dad, I am sorry about this. How do I make it up to you?"

So I told him "Son, all you ever need to do is remind me how much you love me, and give me hugs to reinforce that."

So he climbed into my lap and put his arms around my neck, saying "I love you Dad more than you know."

For a 10 year old boy to still do what he used to do at 5 just made Dad here a little teary-eyes.

Offline WolfpackN64

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:55:37 AM »
That's very sweet, and hey. It's a learning experience for both of you  :)

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
i bet IIO killed all his relatives.  :'(
djupsinnig

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
  I've wanted to kill myself on a few occasions when I wrecked working boot drives because of unnecessary experiments! ;)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
  I've wanted to kill myself on a few occasions when I wrecked working boot drives because of unnecessary experiments! ;)

At least it was only boot drives and not whole systems (shame on me)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!