Author Topic: AGP Video card- True DVI - vs. PCI CARD  (Read 4044 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
AGP Video card- True DVI - vs. PCI CARD
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
(Don't throw anything at me.)

Thinking of going MDD video out to an actual DVI flat panel display. Instead of the ATI ADC/VGA card (often confused or mis-represented as being DVI), currently residing in my down-on-its'-knees MDD, there are "other" AGP cards out there that actually have an onboard DVI out so that I may simply pull and replace the ADC/VGA card?

OR... better to go with a PCI video card like the ATI Radeon 7000 variety, via an available PCI slot?

Attempting to skip the proprietary Apple ADC to DVI conversion cable ($54.00 used).

Yes, finally considering flat panel vs. the small fortune I've already invested in CRT's. HDMI might be nice too.
This Must Be The Place

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: AGP Video card- True DVI - vs. PCI CARD
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »
If you have agp i wouldn't waste a valuable pci slot. But yes you can go dvi all day long.
first time you boot you probably have to zap the pram and then change the boot screen and main screen order but thats just a minor adjustment.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
If you have agp i wouldn't waste a valuable pci slot. But yes you can go dvi all day long.
first time you boot you probably have to zap the pram and then change the boot screen and main screen order but thats just a minor adjustment.

Thanks, and exactly.
My search for an actual AGP DVI card shall continue. I've got the ATI VGA/ADC card now and would rather save the money from buying that Apple ADC to DVI converter cable... for an AGP card that already has a true DVI or DVI-I connection. I've yet to find such an AGP card described as AGP DVI on eBay, that upon closer visual inspection does not reveal them to be Apple's ADC connection.
This Must Be The Place

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
What exactly are you looking for? Nvidia or ati?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
My search for an actual AGP DVI card shall continue. I've got the ATI VGA/ADC card now and would rather save the money from buying that Apple ADC to DVI converter cable... for an AGP card that already has a true DVI or DVI-I connection. I've yet to find such an AGP card described as AGP DVI on eBay, that upon closer visual inspection does not reveal them to be Apple's ADC connection.

You should know that the ADC/VGA card in your "sick" MDD is probably not original. Every MDD I've ever acquired (and I've acquired quite a few) came stock with an ADC/DVI AGP card. 90% of those were Radeon 9000's and a couple were nVidias.

Radeon 9000 ADC/DVI cards are a dime a dozen (actually under 20 bucks) on ebay. Search "Radeon 9000 ADC DVI"

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »
What exactly are you looking for? Nvidia or ati?

Any real difference between the two? I've always had ATI cards. Willing to try Nvidia if there's no particular difference and I'm certain I have the drivers (available on MacTron's 9.2.2 Rescue Boot Disc). Twin DVI or DVI/VGA or even DVI HDMI... as long as I'm thinking in the wispy ether.

And Thanks Gary. Wasn't aware of that OEM ATI MDD card fact. An ADC/DVI is better than what I have. Funny that upon close inspection of those eBay AGP card photos, what's often listed as DVI is actually good ol' ADC. Will check specifically for the "Radeon 9000 ADC DVI".
This Must Be The Place

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
You can actually re flash a pc card like 7000 or 8000 series to make it run on a mac, you loose the boot screen until the driver is activated but it works i have one in my g3. Gives you vga, svhs and dvi.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
You can actually re flash a pc card like 7000 or 8000 series to make it run on a mac, you loose the boot screen until the driver is activated but it works i have one in my g3. Gives you vga, svhs and dvi.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/

Devils, please, snapshot that card. Seems interesting.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4