Author Topic: OS 9 drivers - where to get them, and why did I throw my clamshell out...  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Curonianspit2

• Newcomer
Hi all, I do apologise if this problem has been posted lots of times.

I have a 400mHz AGP graphics G4 running 9.2.2 on which I run Protools LE 5.2. Way back I bought a Glyph FireWire drive, which I formatted and partitioned with OS9 drivers (probably using Panther), and found I could boot from it without any problem if I just dragged and dropped the system folder from the internal drive.
Always nervous that everything is going to suddenly die on me, six months ago I bought a second hardly-used Glyph drive off EBay, which works fine, but I want to be able to boot from that as well in case my other one gives up (it's had a LOT of hours use). Trouble is, my MacBook Pro running Sierra doesn't give you the option in disk utility of installing OS9 drivers, and neither does my old MacBook running Snow Leopard. I can't format from the G4 as the G4 doesn't support it, even connected by USB.

It seem I need to find someone who still has a machine running Leopard, as that I think is the last OS that had a box marked 'install OS9 drivers' in disk utility.

I have a disk of Tiger 10.4 but although the G4 acknowledges it as a start-up possibility in Control Panels, it won't allow me to select it, or apparently to install it.

Is there a workaround? Can I get a local geek to add the OS9 driver in Terminal?

Many thanks for any help.....

Regards/Tim

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
I have a disk of Tiger 10.4 but although the G4 acknowledges it as a start-up possibility in Control Panels, it won't allow me to select it, or apparently to install it.
If that is a 10.4 install disk, you should be able to boot from it by holding "c" at startup, then launch 10.4 Disk Utility from it and format the Glyph.

Your problem begs the question: Are all 3 other HDD bays in the AGP in use? It would be easy to keep a small IDE drive with a System Folder and some troubleshooting utilities in the computer. Even if you're using all the available bays for stuff, even a small partition with a second OS9 on one of them would do the trick.

I've never heard of a way to install OS9 drivers with Terminal or any other way outside of Disk Utility or OS9 HD Setup.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Hi all, I do apologise if this problem has been posted lots of times.

I have a 400mHz AGP graphics G4 running 9.2.2 on which I run Protools LE 5.2. Way back I bought a Glyph FireWire drive, which I formatted and partitioned with OS9 drivers (probably using Panther), and found I could boot from it without any problem if I just dragged and dropped the system folder from the internal drive.
Always nervous that everything is going to suddenly die on me, six months ago I bought a second hardly-used Glyph drive off EBay, which works fine, but I want to be able to boot from that as well in case my other one gives up (it's had a LOT of hours use). Trouble is, my MacBook Pro running Sierra doesn't give you the option in disk utility of installing OS9 drivers, and neither does my old MacBook running Snow Leopard. I can't format from the G4 as the G4 doesn't support it, even connected by USB.

It seem I need to find someone who still has a machine running Leopard, as that I think is the last OS that had a box marked 'install OS9 drivers' in disk utility.

Is there a workaround? Can I get a local geek to add the OS9 driver in Terminal?

Many thanks for any help.....

Regards/Tim

or you could get one of the lower install cds like panther or below and start from it and do the exact same thing instead of installing it access the utility and format the drive and then boot back i to os9 and drag/copy the os9 system folder to the new drive.

Offline Curonianspit2

• Newcomer
Thanks for the responses; it did indeed work nicely by accessing the disk utility without installing, using my 10.4 disk. It was reluctant to mount using the internal drive which is what wrong-footed me earlier, but was fine using an external LaCie DVD.
If I ever want to do this again I do have space inside, so would go that route.

Cheers guys

Regards/Tim