Author Topic: WTB: Small Internal Drive with 10.5.8 pre-installed  (Read 4704 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
WTB: Small Internal Drive with 10.5.8 pre-installed
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:41:18 AM »
I've had enough!

New CD/DVR does as did the A-105 drive. Seems there were patches for the A-105 via OS X that enabled them (not in OS 9). And, as I do not have any OS X remnants available on either of my internal drives, seems a new (to me) drive with OS 10.5.8 might be the easiest way to go... then I'll simply work back to OS 9. (Instead of what I have done.)

BTW, It's an 2003 1.25MHz DP MDD w/o any original install disks.

Interested? PM me a price and the most reasonable price, gets the task. (No USB flash drives, don't even want to try that route.)

Nothing fancy, or huge... just get this thing off it's knees. Hell, I'd even send you a small drive to install it on, if necessary.

Lemme know.
This Must Be The Place

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: WTB: Small Internal Drive with 10.5.8 pre-installed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
I have 16 Hard drive Images of 10.5.8 with all updates installed, I can clone you one if that helps to any drive of your choice, PM Me if that is what you need

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
So, what DVR did you buy and did you install the correct driver for it? And it still shows a grayed-out OSX on the DVD?
I'm asking because it now you're just Band-Aiding over the issue after all of the time we BOTH put into it and the next time something happens, you'll be right back in the same place again wishing you had a working DVD drive to boot from, to run Time machine from, etc. etc.

Your choice of course… I'm just sayin'

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
It’s a GWA-4082B DVD-R/CD-RW (MatSHITa 678-0489B) out of a G5. Apple System Profiler on MDD with OS 9.2.2 notes it as “supported” with driver version 1.4.8. I’ve attempted connection both as a Cable Select and as Master. AND it reads DVDs the same as the A-105. It “sees’ the install DVD just won’t allow boot from it via C key start, or recognize it from Option start.

An install version of OS X 10.3 from Macintosh Garden (CD only set), allows me to select “install” from disk 1 and then restarts, only to just sit there and do nothing after clicking the install option in the new window, after the restart. Original Apple retail OS 10.3 install disk is on it's way, as is the requested small 10.5.8 HD.

If new, pre-installed 10.5.8 internal drive boots successfully, then questionable CD/DVR's may then definitively be exposed... and I'll then buy another CD/DVR drive. If new 10.5.8 drive does not boot, well then... I'll pull some more of my hair out, but for now I'm trying to "Think Different" and quite possibly just "Punt".

Thanks again for your help and mucho above-and-beyond consideration. I'll be certain to post results (or any lack thereof).
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
Wow… Are you sure you didn't cut in line in front of a gypsy or something?
It really does look as though you have a cursed machine.

Holler back when the drive comes.

Good luck!

Offline Clare Burnett

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:31:51 PM »
It’s a GWA-4082B DVD-R/CD-RW (MatSHITa 678-0489B) out of a G5. Apple System Profiler on MDD with OS 9.2.2 notes it as “supported” with driver version 1.4.8. I’ve attempted connection both as a Cable Select and as Master. AND it reads DVDs the same as the A-105. It “sees’ the install DVD just won’t allow boot from it via C key start, or recognize it from Option start.

An install version of OS X 10.3 from Macintosh Garden (CD only set), allows me to select “install” from disk 1 and then restarts, only to just sit there and do nothing after clicking the install option in the new window, after the restart. Original Apple retail OS 10.3 install disk is on it's way, as is the requested small 10.5.8 HD.

If new, pre-installed 10.5.8 internal drive boots successfully, then questionable CD/DVR's may then definitively be exposed... and I'll then buy another CD/DVR drive. If new 10.5.8 drive does not boot, well then... I'll pull some more of my hair out, but for now I'm trying to "Think Different" and quite possibly just "Punt".

Thanks again for your help and mucho above-and-beyond consideration. I'll be certain to post results (or any lack thereof).
Hi
This issues seems familiar, I remember when processing a job lot of eMacs that some GWA drives would not work with 10.5 and seemed to be only supported in 10.4. it stuck in my mind as I was selling them with 10.5 on so had to swap out the drives as I had similar issues trying to boot of the drive with the instal disk. I'm not sure if it was the same model as it was years ago though. Lack of support in 10.5 for things like the Thompson USB modems BT issued caused kernal panics ( it took me ages to work out why a customers upgraded to 10.5 eMac kept kernal panicing because of that )  so I guess there could be other issues generated by not supporting some components/accessories.
The only other thing I can think of that might be causing your issue is if the ide cable to the optical drives is faulty/damaged. Have you tried it on one the HDD IDE connections with a different cable?
Clare

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:25:45 PM »
Hello,
Thanks Clare, interesting information. The GWA-4082B drive was a recent acquisition/install to check if the prior A-105 drive was the culprit behind being unable to load or boot from a 10.4 install disc after all HD’s had been wiped clean. More will be known after the new HD with 10.5.8 pre-installed arrives and is used as primary boot drive. From your experience, it sounds as if the GWA may also not allow recognition or install of the software DVD either. Vee shall see.

At present this project has been shelved as the new HD is awaited. (Someone here is in the process of graciously providing that HD.) In the meantime I’ve begun the resurrection of a G4 Graphite 733 MHz (Digital Audio) machine for a friend (as one can never seem to have enough G4 PowerPC’s to mess with). Dead HD and “cat-hairball-itis” (as well as a non-functioning internal Zip 250 drive). And me, without a can of electronic tuner cleaner to spray down the ”filthy” boards.

Should I find myself again inquisitive about the (usual suspect), G4 MDD… I may try the different cable test connection per your suggestion. As my hair is beginning to grow back now.

The nefarious MDD has however allowed recent reformat and installation of OS 10.3 onto the previously dead HD of the G4 733, from Apple retail OS install disks, via the GWA drive. Of course, those disks are CD’s and not DVD’s.

BTW at 6 posts, may I be the first to say… welcome to MacOS9lives? And thank you again!
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »
With the recent arrival of a care package containing a drive with OS 10.5.8 pre-installed, my DP MDD has risen from its’ proverbial knees. Both the original CD/DVR drive and the new one cannibalized from a G5, read (from GaryN’s install disks) & write dual layer DVD’s now… well maybe not the older drive, I haven't tested that write ability. (A target mode, firewire installed version of 10.3.8 from a G3 would not do this. Perhaps Clare was correct about the GWA series. I will do a clean install of 10.3.8 from an Apple retail disk set and see if this remains true.)

*The original CD/DVR drive is considerably slower in this process.

Just imagine, after so many years spent with Macs (many-many days and nights), both in professional graphic arts settings and in self-employed slavery… you simply turn all of your Macs off in 2003 and walk away. Go off grid too, no internet. Forget.

Fast forward 13 years later, you buy an old MDD and begin again. AND, you also find MacOS9Lives.

Thanks everybody for putting up with my stupid questions and for having the patience to help me walk… and then RUN again. And a very special thanks to one here that I shall always think of as “The Fixer”. Without this guy (and a few others), I’d still be pulling my hair out over the MDD.

Now as local MacUser groups have faded away and the memories of $5.00 shareware programs have become just foggy ghosts, there’s still a rag-tag group of dedicated, world-wide aficionados from the greater days of the Mac, living and breathing life back into these machines and making them so much more than what they once were.

If you find help here (and you will), join. Become a part of it. Send in a little donation and support this forum. Lurk around a bit if necessary. You’re not going to find a better source, so you better help keep this one going.

Okay, off my soapbox now. I’m headed downstairs to try that motherboard with the corroded chip on that 733MHz G4. And, I just bought a G5 that I’ll pick up tomorrow and then begin asking stupid questions about how to get it to boot from OS 9.

Cheers everyone and mucho mucho thanks again!
This Must Be The Place

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:50:45 PM »
As myself and my fellow Italians say...
You are one of the family now

We take care of our own :)