Author Topic: Error type 2  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Error type 2
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
Something weird is going on. Vision crashes and gives me an error type 2, and I can't get the program working until I reset OMS completely. It's like OMS is being corrupted somewhere for some reason. Why is that and what can I do to not run into this again?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Error type 2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
Turns out, the Vision preferences are being corrupted for some reason. I have to trash it and restart to get it working. After the error type 2, when I try running Vision again, It gives me some kind of OMS error saying I've got multiple instances of OMS running and I can't get it back to normal until I trash the Vision prefs and restart.

I also notice that when I click on a Drum Transpose Map in the Instruments window, then close it out, my Mac freezes.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
This is sometimes just what it sounds like. You have more than one instance of OMS running. This can happen if you installed a different DAW or something that installed another instance of OMS. Nowadays, installers are usually smart enough to check for previously installed versions of something they're about to and not duplicate anything, Back then, not so much.

Check your extensions for a second copy of OMS…  HOWEVER, IT MIGHT BE THIS :

After a type 2 crash in Vision, you can't just start Vision up again because OMS is still running, and launching Vision again will also launch another instance of OMS, so you get multiple instances THAT way. Note I'm not talking about "OMS Studio setup" which is an app, but rather OMS itself which is a System extension.

The only stable way to resume working on the Mac after a type 2 crash is a complete restart.

I also notice that when I click on a Drum Transpose Map in the Instruments window, then close it out, my Mac freezes.
Not sure what you mean by this. The "close it out" part especially. Tell me what's happening in more detail.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
Dont know about Studio Vision in particular, but OMS has always been unstable on all my G3s and G4s. (Error type often 10 or 1.) And even more with a USB connected Midisport. Ive always thought the "multiple instances" message to be inaccurate and only because of a crash. OMS is weird because is runs in the background but is not listed among background apps (in e.g. Peek-a-boo) and the only way to turn it off afaik is moving the Open Music System file out of the extension folder. In search of enlightenment.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:08:51 AM by dr bu »
djupsinnig

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »
Go to the Instruments Window. Click on the little Transpose Map area for any instrument. Once that new window opens, close it - without changing anything. BAM. Freeze. Not that this is crippling me, I just noticed that it kept happening as I was studying the manual. Must be a bug or something.

I'm going to try restarting immediately after getting an error type 2. But I wonder why I have an error type 2 in the first place. Macs have always been buggy for me.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »
I have just finished trying to duplicate your bug without any success.

I tried opening a map window and closing it without a change - no freeze. I make a small change of any kind - no prob; window closes and "Map" appears in the column. Click it again, the window reopens, hit clear, window closes, "Map" disappears.
I also tried this with multiple instruments and no issues there either.

All I can think of is: Do you have any Instruments defined in OMS and subscribed to in SVP, or are you opening a Transpose window on a "blank" instrument line?
Before you can do pretty much anything with an instrument in SVP, you have to first create and define it in your OMS Studio Setup which SVP then subscribes to.

The Studio Setup is NOT stored in SVP but rather in the OMS Studio Setup Document.
If that Document is nonexistent or screwed up somehow, SVP might freeze looking for something it can't find.
Any Transpose Maps you create are stored separately but they still have to reference the original Instrument.

If not any of that, then somethings gone sideways, probably in the Studio Setup although who knows? Could be SVP too.
THEN, you're in trash everything Opcode and reinstall from scratch territory.

Again, the type 2 error pretty much always requires a restart. Even if you're able to get SVP to quit without the entire system crashing, OMS doesn't quit and launching SVP again makes the system try to launch another instance of OMS and you just can't do that.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
Dont know about Studio Vision in particular, but OMS has always been unstable on all my G3s and G4s. (Error type often 10 or 1.) And even more with a USB connected Midisport.
I haven't a clue there. OMS has always been stable for me on MY G3s and G4 (only one G4) and I don't remember ever having a lot of errors 10 or 1. I DO think the Midisport, just as with so many M-Audio hang-ons is unstable as hell. The real truth is that everyone's systems are more different that alike and what happens to Fred doesn't necessarily happen to Barney.

OMS is weird because is runs in the background but is not listed among background apps (in e.g. Peek-a-boo) and the only way to turn it off afaik is moving the Open Music System file out of the extension folder. In search of enlightenment.
You just explained your own mystery. OMS "runs" in the background but it doesn't show up anywhere because, as I said before,
OMS is NOT an app - it's an extension.   Its job is to arbitrate and communicate MIDI information between apps.
That's why you move it out of the Extensions Folder to shut it off - just like any other extension.