Author Topic: MDD Blues / Chaos Theory  (Read 2674 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
MDD Blues / Chaos Theory
« on: May 09, 2017, 07:23:40 PM »
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

And we're off. Love the above quote especially in relation to my recent OS X nightmare.

Wiped the two drives (with Norton), in my 1.25 DP MDD and attempted to install OS 10.4 from disks quite nicely provided by GaryN... after I'd used the Emergency/Recover 9.2.2 installer DL'ed from here to at least get the machine to boot. Now, no matter what command-key combination I choose, I cannot get the machine to boot from the 10.4 install disk. I've even gone so far as to change the start-up disk control panel and that doesn't work. (10.4 start-up disk always appears "ghosted" grey and thusly, unable to select it and boot from it).

Tried:
Boot / Install via Firewire from an iMac to the G4
Changed clock setting to prior 2001
Command C, R, option/ALT... you name it.
AND, a bunch of other stuff way too boring/time consuming, to mention.
Even tried a DL version of 10.3 (straight CD's - no DVD). Same no boot and ghosted icon in start-up disk CP.

Wondering if maybe I need a retail version 10.4, 10.3, or perhaps earlier, installed in sequence to get to 10.4, OR if it's some sort of installer file-write-to-CD mumbo jumbo bad ju-ju ritual? It's got me baffled. Even the latest-greatest last version of software from DieHard for the MDD's provided here appears a-OK until attempted boots. (Again, greyed-out icons in the start-up disk selection in CP).

When disks do mount, after OS 9 starts up, and I try install... I get some no-go message ending with (-2)

And no, I don't have original software install disks for this MDD. I know we're not OS X - leaning here, so please forgive me and just ignore this if offended. (Unless you've got answers for this prob.)

Thanks. "pre-emptive multitasking advantage" my arse. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: MDD Blues / Chaos Theory
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
Oh shit. Does your DVD drive read the other DVD I sent with the updates and stuff? They'll have plain icon and such in OS9 but does it at least read it?
The Leopard 10.5 (NOT 10.4) DVD I sent you is dual-layer (think Blu-Ray). I don't know what kind of drive you have and I don't know what exactly happens when you stick it in a single-layer drive because I don't have one. Even my old white iBook reads it okay.

I sending you a PM.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: MDD Blues / Chaos Theory
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Gary's still patiently helping with this. DVD drive was okay and keyboard und mouse are direct-connect to the two USB ports on the back. No USB hubs or PCI cards other than the Apple-supplied original video card. Currently, I'm thinking the machine's Firmware is password protected even though no "lock" icon appears at any time during any attempted C boot. It just won't recognize or load the Installer DVD or even a 10.3 installer CD. Skips over these and boots to OS 9.2.2 every time.

Again, please pardon the OS X related subject. Ignore, or PM respond if you've any possible insight. Mea culpa.

Thanks y'all.
This Must Be The Place