Author Topic: Help needed about Mactron Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair - Toast CD Image  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
Hi.
I have downloaded the 'Mactron Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair - Toast CD Image' from the forum for my TiBook 867 and unfortuntely once booted from the CD the apps do not want to work due to "uncompatible system" or something...
I have download the RESCUE and INSTALL CD V2 from the forum and the CD does not boot at all...
I have download the TechTool Pro 3.0.6 CD from macintoshrepository (which works perfectly installed on my system HDD) but can't boot from the CD due to "extensions problem" (bomb just after boot) or something...
Can someone help me about it?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Ok… the part that says: "Very optimized (Only 129MB) version of Mac Os 9.2.2 for all Mac G3 and G4 Systems." may just a little optimistic on your machine.

You have the vary last natively-OS9-booting Powerbook. It's possible / likely that something that MUST be in the System to boot your machine is NOT in the "skinny" 128MB version on the CD image.

I suggest you try to boot the image here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html
Then you can again try the utilities and stuff on the image you have that don't work now. OR

Tell us exactly what the problem is / what you're trying to do and maybe we can help more effectively.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
You can also try this:

Mac OS 9.2.2 (For PowerBook Titanium 1 Ghz.) - Toast CD Image (RARE)
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,900.0.html

But I cannot remember if it works with the 867... The 867 should be IDENTICAL except for CPU, Optical, and slightly more RAM with the same Mobility Radeon 9000
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/faq/differences-between-1-ghz-867-mhz-powerbook-g4.html

If for some crazy reason that the 867 does not boot to this CD, consult our experts to tell you the OF command to "Lie" about the processor speed before booting (CPUs are both 7455), and then I would bet my life that it would do the trick.

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
Thank you all for you precise answer.

The actual purpose of booting from the CD is to use DiskWarrior 2.1 to defrag my powerbook HDD.
If someone has a DiskWarrior 2.1 image, it will be highly appreciated.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Thank you all for you precise answer.

The actual purpose of booting from the CD is to use DiskWarrior 2.1 to defrag my powerbook HDD.

Ooops... my bad

Knez has a bootable defrag CD, but I think it was OSX only

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
Ok, I will just install os 9 on a usb stick plus the TechTool Pro app and defrag my HDD.

By the way I have tried booting again on the TechTool Pro 3.0.6 CD and the bomb thing appears again saying: "Bus Error. Try booting with the extensions disabled holding shift at start up." or something...

Is there something wrong with my machine?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
You know, I just now looked at the TechTool user manual and I'll be damned if I can find ANYTHING about it being a bootable startup disk. The manual shows it as an app with a bunch of little aux files that the installer sticks all over your System Folder.
The Defrag instructions say nothing about rebooting from CD before using.
Am I missing something here? Is there actually a System Folder on the CD?
If not, that would explain a lot…
If there is, did you actually try booting the TechTool CD with extensions off by holding the shift key? If not, TRY IT.

If it is supposed to be bootable, TechTool probably has the same problem the MacTron CD has. Again, the Ti is a transition piece of hardware with unique quirks and requirements.
There was a TT upgrade to 3.0.9 which MAY have address this. I do NOT know for sure. I do know TechTool 4 will boot into OSX and that will cause all kinds of grief if you try to use it to fix OS9 stuff. This is the kind of uncommon issues that don't happen enough to get documented for posterity and so you find yourself in the dark years later - like now.

Meanwhile, let's go back. You said the rescue CDs wouldn't boot. Did you image and burn them using Toast? If not, Download Toast 5 or better and try again.

There is a Last Resort: Using Carbon Copy Cloner or similar, back up the drive to another machine or drive. The best way would be with another Mac over Firewire. Then wipe the bad drive and restore the backup. This will defrag that stuff in the process. THEN, learn all you can about extension conflicts and the like and go through all of yours with Extension Overload or such and make sure you have the proper ones and you don't have a bunch of unnecessary, potentially problematic ones that should be removed.

Online Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Knez has a bootable defrag CD, but I think it was OSX only

The bootable DVD is made with iDefrag under OSX, but you don't have to have OSX installed on the machine you want to use it on.
When you have the DVD made, you just boot your machine from it and defrag your drive of choise :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
I have finally installed os 9 on a FW drive along with TechTool Pro.
Everything is ok now.

@GaryN: TTP3 is indeed a bootable CD as written on the CD itself. Regarding the RESCUE discs, I have burnt them properly using Toast Titanium 5.2.3 disk image utility.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Glad to hear it finally came together for you.
So, what / which OS9 did you use over FW? It would be good for everybody to know since it evidently contains something your Ti likes that other versions don't.

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
I have used for both my internal HDD and FW HDD the universal install cd from the download section.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
So we now suspect that the "Rescue" CD System may NOT boot a TiBook.
Someone with admin privs should add that note to the Rescue CD download.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
I'm not prone to think that issue is due to the MaTron's Bootable CD,  - it will have at most - a  simple alias misconfiguration ...

The issue may be The CD/DVD drive of the Ti or any other hardware malfunction .
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
"Rescue" will boot my Ti. But noisy fans do persist.  :)
djupsinnig

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
We're dealing specifically with a 867MHz TiBook here.
Is that what you have?
We think we know there shouldn't be any difference between Ti models, but nevertheless, Ralphyboy has tried and failed to boot a variety of CDs.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
Eh...no. :-[   ;D
djupsinnig

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
I'm not prone to think that issue is due to the MaTron's Bootable CD,  - it will have at most - a  simple alias misconfiguration ...

The issue may be The CD/DVD drive of the Ti or any other hardware malfunction .

My Powerbook G4 867mhz Titanium has been bought last month for 40 bucks.
I have swapped the original HDD for a brand new Hitachi 60GB 7200rpm one.
The RAM has been upgraded by myself with 2 brand new Samsung 512GB dimms.
The battery is also brand new but generic.
Since the beginning (1 month) this machine has always been working flawlessly except for the two MacTron releases and the TTP3 disc in boot mode.
I have booted with success on DieHard's Universal Install CD many times, and installed my OS with it.
USB, FW, ETHERNET and AIRPORT work perfectly.
I have played several DVDs, imported many CDs, installed a lot of apps and burnt many CDs with the combo drive.
This machine has passed every TTP3 test except the surface scan (which I never tried).
If there is any other hardware test that I could try to ensure that my hardware is not faulty, I will be glad to do it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 07:51:18 AM by Ralphieboy »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
My Powerbook G4 867mhz Titanium has been bought last month for 40 bucks.
I have swapped the original HDD for a brand new Hitachi 60GB 7200rpm one.
The RAM has been upgraded by myself with 2 brand new Samsung 512GB dimms.
The battery is also brand new but generic.
Since the beginning (1 month) this machine has always been working flawlessly except for the two MacTron releases and the TTP3 disc in boot mode.
I have booted with success on DieHard's Universal Install CD many times, and installed my OS with it.
USB, FW, ETHERNET and AIRPORT work perfectly.
I have played several DVDs, imported many CDs, installed a lot of apps and burnt many CDs with the combo drive.
This machine has passed every TTP3 test except the surface scan (which I never tried).
If there is any other hardware test that I could try to ensure that my hardware is not faulty, I will be glad to do it.

OK, This a detailed report,  we should had began this way  :)

I don't have a working PowerBook to test the "Mactron Bootable Rescue CD & Disk Repair" on it but based on the issues you reported:

May be this can be solved installing the Apple CPU plugins ( already on the CD but disabled ) or perhaps a different Mac Os ROM file.

and unfortuntely once booted from the CD the apps do not want to work due to "uncompatible system" or something...

With such an imprecise report I can't help you in anyway.
I can assume that is caused by an alias misconfiguration ... very easy to solve BTW.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
For the record:

I have download the RESCUE and INSTALL CD V2 from the forum and the CD does not boot at all...