Author Topic: Apple Extended Keyboard on USB  (Read 2709 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Apple Extended Keyboard on USB
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
After recent travails with a G4 MDD, I've temporarily punted back to an old G3. Ahh, the warm fuzzy feel (and clacking), of the old Apple Extended Keyboard!

So, anyone have one or know a source for an ADB to USB converter (other than that Griffin thang)? I've seen the Hasu and Soarer routes and may go with Hasu. Wondering if something else might be available that would get that ADB keyboard functioning via a USB connection on the G4.

Apologies for double post.
This Must Be The Place

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Re: Apple Extended Keyboard on USB
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »
Well, the easy wayis the Griffin way, but you will fork our a good $60.

There is a guy though on geekhack that will build a USB to ADB/ADB to USB device for you for less than that. www.geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

I don't have any experience with him, but it would not be bad to check him out. I think he said it was around $40 for him to do it. Typical buyer beware notice.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Apple Extended Keyboard on USB
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks Torvan. That's the Hasu variety and it looks like it'll fit nicely into highly aesthetic, old 35mm plastic film canister. That, coupled with a current version of "Karabiner" ($10) for OS X, might just do the trick.

For those possibly interested in re-newing old cases and keyboards to their near original color, http://stephenradford.me/restoring-an-apple-extended-keyboard-ii/ He uses this UK hair coloring 12% peroxide solution.

This Must Be The Place