Author Topic: Firmware Password Lockout  (Read 2935 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Firmware Password Lockout
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Attempting to install OS 10.5.4 from a freshly created DVD to an MDD DP 1.25. Shift-boot, command-boot, c-boot not working. No original disks for an R-boot. May be a “firmware password” lock-out. Machine originated from an old Pre-press/Graphics shop. I was unaware of any existing firmware password/lock.

Did get it to boot with Norton SystemWorks 3.0 CD and wiped the drives absolutely clean. Probably a huge mistake.

Now, attempts at successfully downloading and creating Emergency Disk(s) from files available here have also proved unsuccessful . Doubt they would do any good considering the selective boot problem. Haven’t used Stuffit forever… and a new version available for this iMac doesn’t seem to work as easily or anywhere near as effectively as in “the old days”.

Any possible answers/directions… other than I’ve now got a very nice doorstop?

And yes, I’d prefer the dedicated OS 9 route to this, except this machine was to replace a G3 and provide a very functional bridge between the two OS’s.
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Firmware Password Lockout
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »
Ouch! Since I'm the ass that said go ahead and install 10.5.4 then update yada yada it's probably incumbent on me to apologize. I don't know where your 10.5.4 came from (before Mac Garden) but it was NOT from an MDD.

The proper Zen-approved method with an MDD requires an original Leopard (10.0) installation DVD so that the hardware is detected and all of the necessary leetle teeny bit and pieces are extracted and installed properly. This is either an actual came-with-an-MDD gray disc or the purple & black holographically-endowed retail DVD.

There is certainly a hack - or likely a couple of hacks that will eventually get Leopard installed. I have NO idea where to start with that - perhaps someone else does.

Or… there's a guy selling them on ebay for 13 bucks.

Or…if you want to PM me an address, I'll make you a copy of mine and a 10.5.8 combo update and put them in the mail tomorrow.

Again, sorry 'bout 'dat.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Firmware Password Lockout
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:06:13 AM »
No problem, I’ll PM that address and you can forward copies along. Really, I’m severely rusty, being away from Macs as long as I have been. But, I did get a better version of Stuffit and was able to download and use DieHard’s Emergency Disk to get a limited version of 9.2.2 running. Nice to see that familiar face on the startup screen again. Of course with your disks, I’ll then begin all over again.

So, as long as I can begin at square one, I’m certain the road ahead to 10.5.8 should be less(?) difficult. With the intention of working larger graphic files again; faster USB and Firewire with OS X makes it a freakin’ necessity for me. Now tonight / this morning, I’m getting the hell away from that machine.

So, actually no “sorry” necessary. Thanks. I really appreciate the original MDD install disk copies.
This Must Be The Place