Author Topic: Classic in Tiger running on a G5  (Read 4120 times)

Offline mlthmp

• PowerPC fan
Classic in Tiger running on a G5
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Im running 10.5 and 10.4 on my powermac.. I've read that my system (11,2) will run OS9 in classic mode from Tiger. Two questions.. First, even for classic does the drive need to have OS9 drivers installed? and second, What do you do.. just place a OS9 system folder somewhere?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Classic in Tiger running on a G5
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
You need OS9 drivers if you want to be able to read anything on the drive while in Classic mode, so yes, OS9 drivers are necessary.

When you install Tiger you normally get asked about classic. If not, the first time you try to launch a pre-OSX app or file, you'll be instructed to insert the Tiger disc and it will install the System Folder. If you don't have the Tiger installer, placing an OS9 System Folder at the top level of the drive usually works. Note that I said usually.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
You need OS9 drivers if you want to be able to read anything on the drive while in Classic mode, so yes, OS9 drivers are necessary.

I've never had issues reading from the drive within classic.  When installing to a G5 it won't allow the OS 9 drivers to be installed/updated on the drive and classic still works.  Maybe I'm not understanding though.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
Neither am I. You're not allowed to install OS 9 drivers? The system must go through some constant gymnastics translating the directories back and forth. I guess one should be thankful you can run classic on a G5 at all.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 05:40:18 PM »
Neither am I. You're not allowed to install OS 9 drivers? The system must go through some constant gymnastics translating the directories back and forth. I guess one should be thankful you can run classic on a G5 at all.

The OS 9 Drivers are only required to boot.  Just think about being able to read other things like USB drives and what not.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »
Ok…Jeez… it's been so long since I actually ran Classic that I forgot. While it's running in its sandbox (for want of a better term… yeah, it's a sandbox I guess) it does use a number of Tiger resources - including the directory. My MDD has 7 volumes across 4 drives. In OS 9, only 6 appear and are accessible. The one without OS9 drivers is invisible to OS9 but does appear in Classic - evidently because Tiger sees it.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 06:13:02 AM »
Ok…Jeez… it's been so long since I actually ran Classic that I forgot. While it's running in its sandbox (for want of a better term… yeah, it's a sandbox I guess) it does use a number of Tiger resources - including the directory. My MDD has 7 volumes across 4 drives. In OS 9, only 6 appear and are accessible. The one without OS9 drivers is invisible to OS9 but does appear in Classic - evidently because Tiger sees it.

I've always had volumes without 9 drivers show up.  Now I need to go check my drives. I might be crazy (wouldn't be the first time)