Author Topic: Sonnet Encore/ST G4 Duet 1.8GHz CPU Upgrade - not working  (Read 14815 times)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Re: Sonnet Encore/ST G4 Duet 1.8GHz CPU Upgrade - not working
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 05:08:49 PM »
Even better would be to have an alternate download of the ASR image with the file already swapped out and mark it as for the Sonnet Dual CPUs.

The ASR is a little time consuming to produce and was created as a 2 step process...
The "Low Overhead" Boot system was created by MacTron, and The 9.2.2 Install image was my Job.
We will put in on the wish list... to Create an ASR Image and Mini system boot that contains both the modified iMic ROM and the Modified CPU plugin.
Thus, any system with the Sonnet (even the MD FW800) will be ready for the Sonnet

Cool, that's the hope.  The machine I installed that ASR on originally came to me with only the Sonnet installed and, at the time, no alternate standard CPU to swap in if necessary.  Conceivably I could have created the boot drive on another computer first and then moved it over, but not everyone has that option.  I just figure the smoother we can make this for any user the better.  It took a lot of digging around the internet for me to even learn about the existence of the hacked Apple CPU Plugins file, let alone the need for it.  If anything, it's more important to have the original Apple CPU Plugins file out of the system folder by default on first boot to prevent a first-run freeze.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:51 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I think you're all spinning this up into a great big deal that it shouldn't be. It's not like there are Sonnet dual procs for sale around every corner. Half of the very few that do appear are very overpriced. Subtract from the remainder the ones where there's no issue because the seller already went through it so they make certain to tell you about it, and for the 1 or 2 left, you're at the point of causing more confusion than you're solving. Plus, you put up an entire alternate ASR just for that and people without Sonnets will be trying to use it thinking it's "better" or will run faster somehow.

The absolute worst-case scenario is you have one computer, zero friends, no startup CDs, DVDs, or anything else bootable and you live in the middle of nowhere so you have no hardware and nobody to help you swap the file out. In that case, you temporarily replace your old proc card, change the file and swap the proc back.

In reality, you are right as usual Gary :)

It was just a fun thought that will probably never come to fruition.  For the few that need the Modified file... they will find this thread via Google and will hence find the solution, so, it actually served the purpose quite well by having this topic documented.

Behind the scenes, we are adding new stuff to the site including a Download system for core members that will create a system to share and catalog important files without having to search for old posts and attachments. This is a perfect example for the need to have a user driven download area, besides the read-only boards.  I will keep all posted :)

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
Behind the scenes, we are adding new stuff to the site including a Download system for core members that will create a system to share and catalog important files without having to search for old posts and attachments. This is a perfect example for the need to have a user driven download area, besides the read-only boards.  I will keep all posted :)

NOW you're talking!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »
  I get the point, Gary, although I think you're being a bit harsh.  What DieHard just mentioned is probably adequate.  I really didn't expect my friendly suggestion to trigger an argument and I have no desire to make one out of it.

Thread over.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:18 PM »
Healthy debate is what we always have here :)

The days of the "SuperNova" exploding are over, so please debate.... without that our forum would be 12,000 blank pages

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 11:52:10 PM »
That was harsh?? Trigger an argument? About what? With whom?

Now, I'm really confused. Did I hurt someone's feelings somehow? Sorry, certainly wasn't trying to.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
Can you please attach the hacked Apple CPU Plugin file?

Attachment included.  Let me know if there are any problems reading it.

Thanks  :)

Hopefully some day we can sort out what's in the hack and apply it to the last version of the file as part of the on-going OS 9 improvement project.

I don't see where anything in the file contributes to an "ongoing OS 9 improvement project". It's an enabler for the Sonnet card… period.

That's what we have to figure out ...

Healthy debate is what we always have here :)

The days of the "SuperNova" exploding are over, so please debate.... without that our forum would be 12,000 blank pages
;D ;D ;D ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
I have one dual 1.8 744x with a copper heatsink. The fans have sonnet in a label on it.

That machine always is with the L2 cache off. The developer tools from Panther says that is a 745x ??? and report L2 cache off. I can turn it on from there, but it is a shit to have it off by default.

Where can I find the software to enable this L2 cache?

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 06:31:45 PM »
I am in the asumption that the firmware were already installed in that machine. Because it works. It shouldn't without the firmware update.

Digging in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/809754 I have found that i need Sonnet Cache Enabler, that is only on the Sonnet page under http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=317&expand=_a3&action=b154#b154

It should be on http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=315&expand=&action=a3#a3 but it is on the other place...

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
Can you please attach the hacked Apple CPU Plugin file?

Attachment included.  Let me know if there are any problems reading it.

I gave up with Mac OS 9 with this machine because of the missing Apple CPU plugin. Without it all my Protools rigs refused to work.

I will try next week again, now with this extension.

http://xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/powerlogix_dual_g4_7447_7457/index.html show them only a little more powered that the 1.42 745x duals. Faster but some things are quicker on 745x

From http://powerofpowerpc.blogspot.com.es/2015/07/pimp-my-quicksilver-part-iva-cpu.html

It seems that there is some thing for the PRAM needed in OS9, at least for the gigadesign model.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:04:55 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »
You have to run the sonnet installer twice and you may have lost the firmware patch if your battery is gone. Pt5 has mentioned that before.
That is right devil, if you run it twice (The sonnet cache enabler) you can ruin your system. it happenend to me.

Also, it seems that tiger and leopard do not want to boot OSX without the sonnet kext. Panther can (slowly) and from there you can install the pkg over any drive/system.

I could boot to 9 taking off the "Apple" Apple CPU plug and its folder "multiprocessing", but protools PCI do not want to run in that scenario. With the sonnet Apple CPU pluging I could hear the voice of 9 saying: "It is not my fault:something is broken" and the resolution from OSX is not recovered and the monitors go to some strange resolution that my 1280x1024 lcd monitor  cant handle.

Conclusion: I gave up again with Mac OS 9 on that machine. Maybe with a CRT I could get to desktop.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4