Author Topic: Quicksilver 2002 cache memory problem  (Read 5004 times)

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Quicksilver 2002 cache memory problem
« on: April 23, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
I'm running Cubase VST/24 4.1r2 on a Quicksilver 2002 1000 MHz DP with 1.5 GB RAM.

I get the attached message during boot up: "The built-in memory test has detected a problem with cache memory.  Please contact a service technician for assistance."

A few Google searches show possible causes as RAM seating and bad motherboards.  I vacuumed out the G4 and reseated the RAM and got all three RAM chips... before that it only saw 2 of them.  I've opened the G4 and did the reset button, plus did a PRAM reset several times.  I haven't disconnected every connector I can see and replugging them to see if that might help.  I haven't replaced the battery either.  Aside from needing to reset the clock the computer seems to work normally.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

thanks

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:14:23 PM by 1@n »
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Quicksilver 2002 cache memory problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
how about the type of ram? usually you get that kind of punishment if ram goes bad or mismatched ram. you might wanna get some ram.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 04:52:34 PM »
I vacuumed out the G4 and reseated the RAM and got all three RAM chips... before that it only saw 2 of them.

Well hmmm… think you might have a memory problem? If the RAM was so marginal that an entire chip was not being seen, you're overdue for some maintenance.
If you don't already have any, go find a can of contact cleaner. Radio Shack is closing up…good place to look if you have one nearby.
Clean the sockets and the RAM chip contacts. Seat them and reseat them a few times.
If you have OSX on the machine, Google "Memtest Mac". There's a free downloadable utility that runs under Terminal to completely test all the RAM.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »
i agree, it sounds like a bad RAM stick.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies - makes me hopeful it's just RAM.  I'll pick up a can of contact cleaner.  The RAM is a mix of some credible and some questionable, I have extras so I'll try swapping some and see what happens.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:18:58 PM »
Download and Burn the Genuine Apple Quick Silver Diagnostic CD Located here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,818.0.html

Boot to the CD (Hold "C" Key) and run the diagnostics

It is extremely small and will burn very quickly.

Unfortunately if it is indeed the Cache memory then you will have to replace the main CPU daughter board or Main motherboard (logic board).

The cache memory is NOT changeable and resides on the CPU daughterboard, however, some logic boards will give this false error when the logic board itself is bad.

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:06:55 PM »
I have the (I believe) Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the unit , it says Power Mac G4 on it, is silver, and says SW version1.2.4 691-3462-A on it.  I ran it and it says that everything is good. including all 3 RAM sticks and the logic board.  I did the long version of the test.

Offline MacOS9Lives.com

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • Members Only
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »
Ours is version 1.2.6

Make sure you let the unit run for a hour or so as to test it when it's hot
Instructions: Most of our files have been encoded with MacBinary format (.bin) so that the data and the resource fork of the file will not be damaged when storing the file on a non-Macintosh file system. After downloading, if the file does not automatically decode by double-clicking, we recommend opening StuffIt Expander and Selecting "File" and "Open" to decode the downloaded file. StuffIt Expander is included in every Mac OS 9 installation. Additionally, once the StuffIt Expander app is open, check EDIT > PREFERENCES > INTERNET and "use stuffit expander for all available types"

Please Donate: If you feel you have benefited from this forum and you have the means, feel free to contribute $5, $10, or $15 dollars, Paypal: [email protected]

Disclaimer: Mac OS 9 Lives does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles are classified as "abandonware" for having been discontinued by their publishers after Steve Job's public funeral declaring Mac OS 9 a "Dead Operating System". If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention.