Author Topic: BeOS Curiosity  (Read 3173 times)

Online nanopico

• Platinum Member
BeOS Curiosity
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:54:47 AM »
Has any one used BeOS as a daily use OS back in the day?

Also does any one happen to have a BeBox.  I'm not wanting to buy one. Just curious if anyone here has one.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: BeOS Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:48 AM »
I have a friend that Demoed me BeOS on a Pentium II 266 back in the day. It felt superior that Mac OS 9 and Windows in playing various multimedia stuff at the same time. But it lacked Pro Audio apps we had in the golden age of Mac OS like Logic, Cubase and Protools. A sad thing.
I still have my trusty SGI O2 though. I have had many other pc computers over the years, but only as secondary machines i could use for BeOS. I have made some interesting things for and with that OS. I even had a distro similar to Max, but which really worked, unlike Max that crashed because of some bad software or scrambled libraries.
Anyway, believe it or not, my current job is as a translator. I translate technical documentation from romanian to english and viceversa for an oilfield equipment manufacturer here.
I still work electronics, revive old computers that i find, but only in my spare time which isn't much these days. My wife works as an english teacher.
I do like to play some games on my consoles from time to time. My favourite console of all times, is and will always be the Nintendo 64. Don't ask me why i love the darn thing so much, but i do. Maybe because i worked my ass off as a teenager to be able to get a second-hand one.
I was even thinking about trying to do some stuff on the SGI O2 since i have the N64 SDK.
My real second job is at home, doing computer repairs (99.9% of them are windblows pcs) and also console repairs. If i didn't do this, it would be impossible for us to pay even the bills since jobs are paid shit here in my country.
Well i hope i didn't bore you to death.
Best wishes from Romania
Andrei

Hay Andrei,

Very interesting, I used to use BeOS to hack HP scanjets and make stand alone scanners (with no server needed)... just scan to PC via samba share... anyway, glad you made it here and hope we can help you get what you need for the macs :)

If the G5 were designed by Motorola instead on IBM, probably the G4 and OS 9 would have
 lived longer.

If Apple did not bought NEXT computers, and would bought BE OS, (Plan Be) OS 9 would have lived longer.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25329/Gassee_Thank_God_Apple_Didn_t_Buy_Be/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

BeOS has VLC  :P

protools guy = ultimate steve jobs fanboy
 8) 8) 8)

Steve NeXTStepped the Macs... We could have CopLand instead of MacOS9 if Steve didn't came out with the NeXT Step OS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_%28operating_system%29System 7 was ahead of its time, and  Ellen Hancock was wrong on that .
She decided it was best to cancel the project outright and try to find a suitable third-party system to replace it. Development officially ended in August 1996, and after a short search they announced that Apple was buying NeXT in order to use their NeXTSTEP operating system as the basis of a new Mac OS.
Apple should have bought Also BeOS while they finished CopLand and OSX. The first 10.0, Puma and Jaguar are Jokes as OSes, but BeOS wasn't.

Yes, I am a fan on the work he did while the transition from OS9 to OSX making these wonderful machines we use. But he was pushing really hard everyone in the industry to develop for OSX Cocoa not carbonized apps instead of OS9 compatible carbonized apps... The OS9 in the coffin was totally unnecessary to my taste, and even a Bad Strategy for a business. They could be selling OS9 machines longer as they did with Apple II machines on the last 80's and first 90's. Apple had a lot of series of machines pre Steve Jobs, and that "Zen" lineup on products in Steve'Age damaged the life on OS9...     

Also the Steve work on G5 to Intel was awesome. iBooks, PowerBook Ti, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad... Those are wonderful devices, but G4s has an special place for me.

When they went to Intel, there was no need to buy Apple Machines to run Tiger, Leo, SL...

I recognize that have seen every MacWorld since the Steve Jobs back to Apple, some from the NeXT Cube, and the 1984 Macintosh one. What Apple owner didn't do that? Every time I play ..
[youtube]6KJZLiic2F8[/youtube]

makes my DA GHz dual and my MDD 867 run faster and prouder.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4