Author Topic: G4 video into OS X MacBook  (Read 6862 times)

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
G4 video into OS X MacBook
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.8 that is my main work computer - I use it mainly for Photoshop for my artwork.

And next to that I have a Quicksilver G4 running OS 9.2.2 that I use for Cubase VST/24. 

The trouble is, in addition to my TV, I have a screen on the MacBook Pro, a 23" Apple Cinema monitor hooked up to the MacBook Pro, and now a 19" monitor hooked up to the G4.  That's 4 screens folks, kinda nuts.

So the idea came to me that I could find some way of coming out of the G4's video into the MacBook Pro so that I could eliminate the 19" monitor.  In other words, I'd be running OS 9 on the G4, but watching it on a probably sizeable screen on my MacBook Pro.  The G4 has ADC and VGA outs, plus I have an XClaim PCI card I could use in the G4 that looks like it has S-Video on it (in and out).

I'm guessing that there's no real easy way of plugging the G4's VGA output directly into the MacBook Pro because that's what I'm basically trying to do.

If anybody else has run into this please let me know.  I have a Trendnet TK-207 USB/VGA switch but that's VGA only and it's either/or, what I'm talking about would be true OS 9 (not Classic) on a modern Mac simultaneously.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: G4 video into OS X MacBook
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
I would say to get an hdmi capture usb card for that MacbookPro and to use the dvi-d output on that G4.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

I run VNC server on my Mac OS 9 machines. I have way more computers than monitors. On your "modern " machine use a VNC viewer.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/155-vine-vnc-server-3-5-for-os9

Of course you need them both connected to the same router.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »
Check how I snapshot the OS9 machine on my 32" Samsung TV connected to my Hackintosh on 10.6.8
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate the replies.

Is there any cheap ok video capture USB anyone can recommend?  On eBay I see some China ones for $60 and some nice ones for $300 - 600.
I'm gathering that I'd come out of the G4's DVI output into a DVI to HDMI adapter, then use an HDMI cable to the video capture card, and plug the USB output of the card into the MacBook Pro and use a program to view it on the MacBook Pro.  I'm not sure what program that would be.  Is that the VNC viewer?

Protools5LEGuy I didn't really understand what meant re having both machines going to the same router... the G4 isn't hooked up to the internet and I'd rather it not be... wouldn't it be simpler to use cable adapters to directly connect it to the MacBook Pro?

I was hoping that there was a $20 video capture USB card but it looks like not.  The current monitor I'm using on the G4 is only 800x600 and that is perfectly fine for Cubase.

Thanks
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
as you can see he is using vnc. thats as far as network goes in this part. you vnc into a macos9 machine and capture from there. even quicktime 7 can do the trick.

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
What would I not like about using a VGA to S video adapter ($1.50) along with a S video to USB video capture card ($5)?

It just seems like using DVI and HDMI are overkill for Cubase.  The $3 Dell 600x800 monitor I'm using is better than it needs to be.  As long as I can read the numbers that's all I care about.

I've used OS X's Photo Booth to view a cheap video camera... maybe that would work to view this?

I tried attaching pics but it didn't work I don't think.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Do you actually need to "stack" one screen onto another? It sounds like you're using them at different times for different purposes.
Why don't you get a video card for the QS with a DVI out, then get a two-way KVM switch and you can run them both into your Cinema Display.

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
Yes, that would be another way to do it.  Kinda junk though because I often like to play along with MIDI tracks while I search the web (and watch tv and eat a sandwich).  Also, I really like the app Midipipe, which is OS X only and for a certain style of playing I need to put the track I'm playing live through that so I do need to use OS X and OS 9 at the same time.

In a previous post I mentioned using the Quicksilver's DVI out... that was incorrect, my 2002 Quicksilver's stock video card has VGA and ADC video outputs but no DVI.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:58:35 PM »

Protools5LEGuy I didn't really understand what meant re having both machines going to the same router... the G4 isn't hooked up to the internet and I'd rather it not be... wouldn't it be simpler to use cable adapters to directly connect it to the MacBook Pro?

Is the MBP connected to internet via WIFI? Then it could share its internet (From WIFI to the Ethernet port) and be connected with an ethernet cable to the QS.

Then you run VNC server on Mac OS 9. And VNC Viewer on Mac OS X. You will have an scalable "digital"  screen on the MBP that would let you tweak things on the OS9 Cubase.

Capturing the video and use a software to watch the capture uses way more CPU cycles on the MBP than the VNC server+VNC viewer. Also, the quality of the image is worst, via converting VGA to Composite/Component to analog and digitize it. It also should have more latency, that is almost nothing using VNC.

I would say to get an hdmi capture usb card for that MacbookPro and to use the dvi-d output on that G4.

The HDMI capture usb card cost 500X more than the cost of an ethernet cable.  ;) I would not do that unless planning to make a HUGE $$$ retro-DAW youtube channel.

Yes, that would be another way to do it.  Kinda junk though because I often like to play along with MIDI tracks while I search the web (and watch tv and eat a sandwich).  Also, I really like the app Midipipe, which is OS X only and for a certain style of playing I need to put the track I'm playing live through that so I do need to use OS X and OS 9 at the same time.

I use Spaces in Snow https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaces_(software) with F13 key or Center mouse button to call it. One Space is for PT 10 and other for the VNC machines. Quickest way to change from 9 to X ever.

The KVM solution mentioned by GaryN is valid but slower, since you have to take your hands from your instrument or the Keyboard and Mouse to the switch of the KVM and back.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 05:02:17 AM »
What would I not like about using a VGA to S video adapter ($1.50) along with a S video to USB video capture card ($5)?

It just seems like using DVI and HDMI are overkill for Cubase.  The $3 Dell 600x800 monitor I'm using is better than it needs to be.  As long as I can read the numbers that's all I care about.

I've used OS X's Photo Booth to view a cheap video camera... maybe that would work to view this?

I tried attaching pics but it didn't work I don't think.

the vga to s-video adapter wont work as far as i know. they are for projectors. there was one card that came with a set of cables like these (matrox dualhead i think)
you would have to find one of them.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

the vga to s-video adapter wont work as far as i know. they are for projectors. there was one card that came with a set of cables like these (matrox dualhead i think)
you would have to find one of them.

And those are limited to 800x600 resolution or PAL or NTSC resolution. And prone to video noise.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline 1@n

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the MacBook Pro is connected by cable to a router.  So I could run another Ethernet cable to the G4. It sounds like the VNC method is the way to go, although it's good to know that the S-video way would also work, although I don't like the extra conversions and noise issues.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »
Best is to try what fits your needs. There are a lot of ways to manage various computers using the same Keyboard and mouse,  but VNC is my favorite so far.

Check http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,1613.0.html
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »
Probably offtopic, but undoubtedly inspiring method from bobesch with an eyeTV200 on a Powerbook to be able to see Netflix using a iPhone as dongle https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-video-stream-cheat-project.2042289/

[youtube]uwnLZM_b1ew[/youtube]
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 04:45:52 PM »
Somehow related http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2984.0.html how a personality card in a grey G3/8600/9600 can do wonders capturing video. Using a Raspberry Pi as dongle.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4