Author Topic: Working CD Rom transplanted to second identical machine, now it wont work  (Read 2932 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Transplanted a working Lite-On 12102C CD Rom drive from one G4 to another but it is not recognized in the second machine. If I open toast it lists the drive at the bottom and and even spins up the drive if you click on the name of the CD Rom Drive, but it does not show up in the Read from section in toast. It also does not show up in finder, or any place else. Further, the CD tray can not be ejected by any method other than pressing the physical button on the front of the drive.

The drive also shows up in Apple system profiler. > Devices and volumes as ATA-0

OS 9.2.2 

Cant figure out what is wrong help!!!   :o

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Does this non-Apple CDROM need a driver that you may have forgotten to copy across?
How do the other items on the ATA bus differ to the previous machine?

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Same layout, the mother board is this G4 quicksilver is the model with the built in printer port, where as the prior had the head phone jack in its place, otherwise it is the same. This is a different hard drive install as well since the first drive was dead.

I do not have the driver for this specific CD Rom which is probobly what is going wrong, and I do not know where to get a driver as I have looked around and found nothing, may be one of those have to re-install 9.2.2 again and let the installer choose the driver automatically. However this prospect scares me a bit as the rest of this machine has been running rock solid for months.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Did you check the jumper before swapping them? Match both and connect to the same connector.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Did you check the jumper before swapping them? Match both and connect to the same connector.

No I didn't, but that is a good idea thanks!