Author Topic: Will a Mackie UAD-1 PCI card work in a 7 slot DIGI Magma chasiss ?  (Read 9904 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
My 7 slot chassis has 5 MX core cards and 2 farm cards in it now. OS9.2.2  5.1.3

I really want to ditch using the BF1176 in favor of the UAD 1176 and LA2A plugins which is the reason for this whole mental exercise.

The question is, can I take out one of the farm cards and stick in the Mackie UAD-1 PCI card in its place, or does it have to go into an available PCI slot in the G4 quicksilver?

Further, Does the Mackie card do the processing thereby freeing my CPU from the extra burden of running RTAS plugins?

If the Mackie card does shoulder the UAD RTAS processing burden how many instances of the plugins can be run simultaneously, I have not been able to find this information online anywhere?

I listened to a side by side demos  UA versus the BF, and the UAD is far above the BF in performance and quality.

Thanks for any info on this PCI card  ::)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Re: Will a Mackie UAD-1 PCI card work in a 7 slot DIGI Magma chasiss ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
Found an informative article in electronic musician about this card from back in 2002 http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/mackie-designs-uad-1-powered-plug-ins-222-macwin/32913

Also found the UAD download archive link below

UAD Powered Plug-Ins v3.9.0:
Mac OS 9 VST | Mac OS 9 MAS | Mac OS X VST | Mac OS X AU | Windows

UA Plug-Ins for Pro Tools TDM v1.31: Mac OS X & 9 | Windows
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215267203-UAD-Software-Archives

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
how many instances of the plugins can be run simultaneously,

They say "typically" ( at 48K)    7- 1176... 14- LA2A... 12-Pultec

more at 44.1
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:26:16 AM by mrhappy »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 05:25:11 AM »
For the 'Powered Plugins' you're going to need the 'RTAS Wrapper' for using on PT 5.1.3

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:29:28 AM »
Toward the bottom of this page there is an 'Instance chart'... Shows all the different plugins they had for the UAD-1 card.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206024206-UAD-1#“sec9”

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »
For the 'Powered Plugins' you're going to need the 'RTAS Wrapper' for using on PT 5.1.3

Where do you get an RTAS Wrapper?

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »

I downloaded a 200 meg disc image form UAD that says UA-TDM-Install-v131.img for OS9 I would assume this has everything I need on it?

The thing about this file is it was in a separate column from the other software that was UA powered plugin specific, as if it was something different?

Did UAD make plugins that work with TDM OS9 that do not require an external interface such as the Mackie, but exist strictly as RTAS?

The plugins in the installer file are listed as .TFX

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »

Did UAD make plugins that work with TDM OS9 that do not require an external interface such as the Mackie, but exist strictly as RTAS?

They DID make 5 TDM plugins! 1176LN (black face), 1176SE (silver face), LA2A, Pultec EQ, and Cambridge EQ!!!!

We need to find these!!!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:50 PM »

'FXpansion' makes the 'VST to RTAS converter'... I believe they still sell the various OS X and OS9 versions.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »

'FXpansion' makes the 'VST to RTAS converter'... I believe they still sell the various OS X and OS9 versions.

Maybe not! I was just poking around on their site. So we might have to find the earlier version the 'wrapper' too!!

https://www.fxpansion.com/support/faq/vstrtasadapter/

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 11:39:44 PM »
RTI... I've been planning to monkey around with the UAD-1 too! I just recently found out about the TDM versions...It would be GREAT to get hold of those! As far as the 'Powered' version goes, we need to get the older 'Legacy' version of the 'FXpansion' adapter to use with PT 5 as RTAS. You can use up to 4 UAD-1 PCI cards together. 

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 11:46:12 PM »
RTI... I've been planning to monkey around with the UAD-1 too! I just recently found out about the TDM versions...It would be GREAT to get hold of those! As far as the 'Powered' version goes, we need to get the older 'Legacy' version of the 'FXpansion' adapter to use with PT 5 as RTAS. You can use up to 4 UAD-1 PCI cards together.

So we are looking for a wrapper.  BTW I was concerned about overloading my PCI buss in the G4 by adding UAD cards since my PT system is all in my magma chassis. Further, have you heard if the UAD2 would work with OS9 as that is supposed to have far lower latency.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 11:48:27 PM »

They DID make 5 TDM plugins! 1176LN (black face), 1176SE (silver face), LA2A, Pultec EQ, and Cambridge EQ!!!!

We need to find these!!!!

Those specific plugins are the whole reason I am looking into the UAD1, I don't care about running any other plugins on the UAD1, as I already have waves and a few other bundles to draw from.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »

Maybe not! I was just poking around on their site. So we might have to find the earlier version the 'wrapper' too!!

https://www.fxpansion.com/support/faq/vstrtasadapter/

I am reading some articles from 2003 and prior and it looks like there never was a VST to RTAS adapter which worked under OS9. That means that this function must have been part of the original first generation UAD installer disc as it is clearly stated that TDM OS9 is supported

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 12:25:29 AM »
https://www.refusesoftware.com/products/feature/3

Ugly VSTi Interface
It's pretty ugly

Features
    The Ugly can now be launched by double-clicking a VST file
    Now remembers your MIDI input device of choice
    Added "hold" button for onscreen keyboard
    Now passes aftertouch MIDI data
    Added Panic button (kill all hanging MIDI notes)
    Lots more little improvements
    Awesome new ugly colors!

Our host application for VSTi plug-ins. It loads one VSTi at a time, and no effects, but it’s intuitive and stable.

Supported Systems

Loads VSTi plug-ins of both the VST formats available for the Mac: Mach-O (current) and Carbon CFM (old).

Mac OS X (v0.5)
    Mac OS 9 (v1.1) https://www.refusesoftware.com/download/free/3/mac9

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »

I downloaded a 200 meg disc image form UAD that says UA-TDM-Install-v131.img for OS9 I would assume this has everything I need on it?

The thing about this file is it was in a separate column from the other software that was UA powered plugin specific, as if it was something different?

Did you try to get anything happening with this 'UA-TDM-Install-v131.img for OS9' file? Is this the one showing up as '.TFX'?... I believe that is Digidedesign's plugin settings file.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »

I was concerned about overloading my PCI buss in the G4 by adding UAD cards since my PT system is all in my magma chassis.

Yes that IS a concern! I'm not sure if it will cause PCI problems or not. I have been wondering about running 2 parallel chassis rigs... one with the 7 mix cards and a second with 4 UAD-1 cards!! Haha! ;D ;D

Ah yes... of coarse the first step will be just trying to integrate the card with PT using the earlier VST converter... if that even works!!! ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
this function must have been part of the original first generation UAD installer disc as it is clearly stated that TDM OS9 is supported

I didn't get the impression that the 'VST converter' was part of the original disc, rather that it was an 'add on' purchased through FXpansion... I hope I'm wrong about that though, as that would mean that we just need and original disc and they show up on eBay from time to time.

...and YES... it IS clearly stated on the packaging material that OS 9/PT is supported so it MUST have worked on some level!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
On a side note... It makes me CRAZY that these companies are happy to let these old programs and files just disappear into oblivion!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Maybe with the way OS9Lives is growing we'll soon have enough clout to cause them to reissue some of this stuff and support it! Don't worry... I'm not holding my breath!! Haha! ;D

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »

Did you try to get anything happening with this 'UA-TDM-Install-v131.img for OS9' file? Is this the one showing up as '.TFX'?... I believe that is Digidedesign's plugin settings file.

Not yet the CD Rom in this G4 is broke so I am swapping in another one from one of my other parts machines