Author Topic: Newbie issues  (Read 3069 times)

Offline foofoo7777

• Newcomer
  • Living in Cork buoy. He's nothing but a spacer.
Newbie issues
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
hi folks, just got hold of a G3 B&W 350mhz and maxed out the ram to 1Gb and replaced the HD for a 7,200 rpm one and installed 9.2.2. I want to run Photoshop 7, however cannot get it installed. I downloaded 7, used Stuffit to expand and all the files looked ok. Burned the files to disc but still having issues. Few queries:
- Can I use a PC to burn disc or do I have to use a mac?
- I presume the disc should be write once type?
- The main folder had toast in the name and an .iso extension, would this work?
- Some of the folders appeared ok but some were documents
- When I tried to install lots of the folders become locked, including the pdf and install folders, not sure why?
Not sure how to progress, or even start for that matter, in burning a disc that will load Photoshop 7
Thanks for any assistance.
Living in Cork buoy. He's nothing but a spacer.

Offline foofoo7777

• Newcomer
Re: Newbie issues
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »
Tired last night and may not have expressed myself the best. I suppose the route of my query is 2 fold. Firstly, does an install have to happen from CD or can you transfer the same folders and contents to the desktop (or HD), via USB flash or CD, and install that way? Secondly, i would prefer installing from CD but just do not know the specifics of an apple CD install disc. Earlier this morning i found that folders/documents that were ok on my G4 powerbook became locked or had zero content when the disc was burned (in a PC as CD failed to burn on G4) and opened in G3. Couldn't remove the locks on the locked folders/documents. When that CD was inserted, or opened, there was a message pop saying recreating photoshop folder. Is this causing the issue? Thanks for any help folks.

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:03 AM »

- The main folder had toast in the name and an .iso extension, would this work?

For the price of a blank cd-r, you can try this:   change filename suffix from .iso  to   .toast  and try to "toast" (burn) it on a mac

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »
The inability to unlock files and folders is a bad side effect of handling OS9 files in PC or sometimes even OSX environments.
File permissions get /are set that OS9 has no access to.

The .iso suffix says it's a disk image.
Download the image in OS9, expand it with Stuffit then launch Toast.
Select "mount image" from the Toast menu.
You should get an image with all of the Photoshop stuff that you can either just drag copy to your drive or launch the PS installer if present.
I say "if present" because I have no idea where you got PS7, if it's a copy of an original PS7 CD or ??

Whatever it is, trying to burn old Mac software CD on a PC is usually difficult and often impossible.

Offline foofoo7777

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 01:41:12 AM »
The inability to unlock files and folders is a bad side effect of handling OS9 files in PC or sometimes even OSX environments.
File permissions get /are set that OS9 has no access to.

The .iso suffix says it's a disk image.
Download the image in OS9, expand it with Stuffit then launch Toast.
Select "mount image" from the Toast menu.
You should get an image with all of the Photoshop stuff that you can either just drag copy to your drive or launch the PS installer if present.
I say "if present" because I have no idea where you got PS7, if it's a copy of an original PS7 CD or ??

Whatever it is, trying to burn old Mac software CD on a PC is usually difficult and often impossible.

Thanks GaryN. Managed to compile all the bits of information together in my head and installed PS7 in a few minutes last night before reading your post. Decided to get all software on my 12" G4 powerbook, ie Toast 5, Stuffit etc. Simply dragged the .iso file and created an image and burned. Hey presto worked. Spent 5 hours burning between G5 and PC and attempting various install variants night before and did it last night in 15 mins. Doh. Its sometimes difficult for advanced users to go back to think like a newbie with no experience. I now know what 'make image and toast' mean and how to do it, before that i knew toast was a CD/DVD burning app but didn't know how to use the create disc image part etc. Easy when you know how.

Thanks for all the help folks. Now just need to get a Mac Edition ATI Radeon.....