Author Topic: Volume with OS9 and OSX4 not starting up on OS9  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Volume with OS9 and OSX4 not starting up on OS9
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »
Strange problem. Digital Audio machine with dual boot Volume. OS9 - OSX4.11. Will not start up on anything that has OS9 on it - even a universal installer CD in CD Drive. Or reinstalling OS9 with the general install after reformating partition with disk utility. Blank screen on start up. Fix OS9 permissions does not even appear selectable in disk utility.
Through all this OSX4.11 starts up fine and works well.

Just putting this question up in case someone has already had this happen. Never seen this before.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Volume with OS9 and OSX4 not starting up on OS9
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
That's a weird one Jaki. The only thing I can think of is that you somehow corrupted your ROM. Your machine is refusing to acknowledge that OS9 even exists. The inability to start from a CD is the clue here. The only thing in common between the HDD ATA bus and the CD ATA buss at boot is the ROM… I think.

Not being able to "fix" OS9 disk permissions from OSX is normal. OS9 has file read / write "permissions" that lock out sharing and alterations etc. but they're not at all like the hierarchical UNIX permissions in OSX.

Read this: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3200.msg22677.html#msg22677

The guy you need right now is the one and only Nanopico.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:09:54 AM »
Thanks Gary - it does look weird. Trying to think what the only change since it was starting up alright and I added a geforce titanium card a few months back - might have to try another card just to try all variables in this mix when I have time. I'll get back when done.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 06:12:55 AM »
Had a look at the cpu connectors since a few months back I was trying to use a quicksilver 933mhz cpu in the digital audio but wasn't successful. I now see why.

Looked at the cpu to board connectors and found one of the connector prongs was bent- out of place. Easy to find - just shine a torch or light at the connectors and there will be a difference in the reflections of light than the rest of the prongs. With the magnifying glass I still couldn't see clearly - so I had to do it with photos to show me the results of what I was doing. I made one mistake and moved a prong next to the one I wanted - but with a bit of patience the bloody job was successful. I have the computer running in macos9 again at last. Had to disconnect power cord, take out battery and reset PMU. It still showed the same symptoms until I did that.

Anyway have a look at the photos below.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
OK………… I did NOT see that one coming

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
I know Gary - I forgot to take a photo right at the very beginning - one of the prongs was pushed so far away from its position. Anyway thankful that it finally works again.