Author Topic: Matrox RTMac HELP!  (Read 2975 times)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Matrox RTMac HELP!
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:05:47 AM »
This does not belong here, but I can not post or see anything in the Video - Capture & Editing section.

Here is the actual post now. 
So I recently got the Matrox RTMac card thanks to some nice recommendations from members (I'd link to the original post, but it appears to have disappeared). I wish I could say it works great, but it doesn't.
It drops frames during capture.  Like it drops almost all frames during capture.
I'm using Final Cut Pro 2.  I've messed with every setting I could find.
I've messed with all the extensions in the system.
I'm running this on a Dual 867 MDD in OS 9.  I'm actually assuming it's the machine as the thing doesn't seem as fast as it should.  It feels slower than my iBook 300 MHZ G3 (subjective no actual testing).  So There is a lot of areas this could be.

So the question is, if you have used this card before, what machine did you use it in and what settings did you use to capture video?
Just assume I know nothing and have just installed the system so everything is set to default?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Matrox RTMac HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »
i need all the specs. how many drives. do not capture to the system drive. usually you would use a scsi raid back in the days. higher quality slow io system leads to drop outs no matter what. you can have the fastest cpu in the world paired with a slow drive it will wait faster.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Matrox RTMac HELP!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »
i need all the specs. how many drives. do not capture to the system drive. usually you would use a scsi raid back in the days. higher quality slow io system leads to drop outs no matter what. you can have the fastest cpu in the world paired with a slow drive it will wait faster.

This explains a lot.  Didn't really want to post spec's of my machine as I was more just curious as to what others had used.   
So really the storage bandwidth is the biggest bottle neck for this as far as what I have access to.  Kind of what I expected. 
I have many options around to solve that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!