Author Topic: Want to install OS9 along Tiger  (Read 7916 times)

Offline mlthmp

• PowerPC fan
Want to install OS9 along Tiger
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
Hey folks.. I have OS 10.4 installed currently (I did remember to check install OS 9 drivers though!) What is my best option to install OS9 now that Tiger is already installed? Should I remove Tiger and start over or is it possible to install OS9 after installing 10.4?

Thanks

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Want to install OS9 along Tiger
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
The "best" way depends on how you want to use OS9. With Tiger you can just install OS9 "Classic" into Tiger for occasional use of older apps.
If you want extensive, optimized use of 9.2.2 to get the most out of it, do this:

1. Using Tiger, partition the drive, creating a separate volume for OS9.
2. Grab OS 9.2.2 from here: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2109.0.html or wherever you like and simply drag copy the OS9 files onto the OS9 volume.

Now you have a dual-boot machine. Done.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:20:42 PM »

So you can partition the boot drive without reformatting/ erasing it??

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:32 PM »
You can "chop off" a section of unused space into a separate volume with disk utility. This is, os course, assuming it is blank space and not already full of stuff.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »
Ahh... the 'ol CHOP routine!! ;D ;D Wasn't aware of that.

Offline mlthmp

• PowerPC fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I was able to get them to both work on the same partition using one of the dragndrop files in the downloads.. I suppose they can live side by side can't they? lol

I put both system folders on the top of the HDD.. I can switch back and forth using startup disk in X/9 is that an OK way to go?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »

I'd take Gary's advice and create a separate volume for each OS, otherwise I think you're going to create some problems for yourself. ;D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:21:07 PM »
You can have both on the same volume. You can also carry a 9-volt battery in a pocket full of change. Maybe it'll fall just right, short and burn your leg…or maybe it won't. Having two different OS's parked in the same place is similar. Depending on what you do with them and how you do it, maybe everything will be just fine or maybe stuff will crash and burn every other time you boot up.

It has mostly to do with the fact that they use different file systems and directories. With only one volume, it's possible for OS9 to write something in the directory area that OSX can't understand-or vice versa. So, next time you boot OSX, it automatically runs disk utility to "fix" what it doesn't like. Then you go back and boot OS9 and now it has a problem so it re-fixes the directory and on and on and on. Very soon it's an unrecoverable mess and you're having to completely erase the drive and start over.

My advice is: Partition the drive. It's no big deal to do. Then:
Go to Tiger Spotlight prefs and prevent Spotlight from indexing the OS9 partition.

Or, just don't bother, as I said, maybe you'll get lucky - at least for a while, but when shit starts going wrong and you start to get kernel panics and crashes and freezes, you'll remember this little warning…

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 05:47:02 AM »
You can also carry a 9-volt battery in a pocket full of change.

A little known (alternate) fact... That's how they came up with the Rod Stewart hit... "Hot Legs" !! ;D ;D

Offline mlthmp

• PowerPC fan
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Ok. Removed OS9 the way I had it. How exactly do I "chop" an active partition?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »
Easy:
1. Boot Tiger.
2. Launch Disk Utility. In the left column, select the drive.
    >>>NOT the volume "Tiger or OSX or whatever you called it, but the top level drive itself right above.
3. Now you can select "Partition" on the right.
4. A little graph will appear showing the drive and the volume. Click the "+".
5. Follow the instructions to add and size partitions.

• Size them according to how you're going to use the machine, guessing how much space you'll need for each, remembering that OSX will hog more space than OS9 generally speaking. If you have no idea, just cut it in half. Push comes to shove later and you need to change things around a little, that's OK because you;ll have a far better idea of what's up by then. You can always re-initialize the drive and restore stuff from backup, which you will have of course…

You don't seem to have said anywhere so far exactly what model machine this is all happening in, but if there's room for more than one drive, you'll have even more options later if need be.

Offline mlthmp

• PowerPC fan
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
First off thanks for all the input! Ok, I used the drag and drop install and now have OS9 and OSX on different partitions.. you mentioned using 10.4's spotlight prefs to prevent it from indexing OS9. Can you please point me to a guide or an idea how to do so?

Thanks again!

Also, sorry I thought I said. It's an iBook G3.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:49:08 PM by mlthmp »