Author Topic: Airport Extension not working  (Read 4250 times)

Offline cew42

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Airport Extension not working
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »
When I select the Airport extension from the apple menu I get a message saying this extension must be in the extension folder. It already is in the extension folder. I tried rebuilding desktop but it still does not work.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Airport Extension not working
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
Extensions can't be opened like normal applications or files. They get loaded when the Mac boots up.
I can't think of any reason to have it in your Apple Menu.

If you want to adjust your Airport settings then you need to open the Airport APPLICATION. By default this is in Apple Extras:Airport:

Personally, I put an alias to it in the Control Panels - this seems like a natural place to me.

Offline cew42

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »
Turns out someone put an alias of the Airport extension in the Apple Menu folder. I have a dual boot OS 9 & 10 PowerBook G4 that I recently acquired so I'm trying to get OS 9 working properly. I can get on the internet fine with ethernet but not with Airport. I don't seem to have a Apple Extras. Where would this be located?

Thanks for your reply as I'm a little rusty on OS 9.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
"Apple Extras" was / is a collection of utilities that came with the OS files - usually on a separate CD. It included the Airport admin utility, Sherlock, Universal Access and a bunch of other stuff. If you have it it would be a folder labeled as such. You can always download a complete OS9 package from our downloads section and get extras out of it.

Here's a thought:
If the system on your computer seems to be incoherent to you, like too many previous folks have messed with everything so you can't really tell which way is up or down, you might be well advised to just scrap the entire OS9 install and reinstall a new one. That way, you know everything you need will be there in approximately the right places.

Offline cew42

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 02:31:59 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help, I was able to download a specific OS9 install disk for the PowerBook G4 from the Mac Garden and install Airport. It now is connecting to my wireless network.