Author Topic: Why is this MDD scoring this high?  (Read 9710 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Why is this MDD scoring this high?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:22 PM »
You can try Let1kwindowsbloom, it's useful to show a in excess bloated system folder ... and its dramatic repercussion in graphic and System responsiveness.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 05:36:05 AM »
I installed the Universal Mac OS 9.2.2 from here today and it did the trick. Got more or less spot on the same graphics benchmark score in MacBench as you MacTron! Was using the "os9general.dmg" before. Going to go with the universal install on all machines now. The speed increase is very noticable.

Haven't really paid any attention to this before, thinking "how much of a difference can it make?". The answer is "a huge difference" ;) . Thanks for the great work guys!
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 06:26:52 AM »
Thanks for posting back Knezzen.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »
I installed the Universal Mac OS 9.2.2 from here today and it did the trick. Got more or less spot on the same graphics benchmark score in MacBench as you MacTron! Was using the "os9general.dmg" before. Going to go with the universal install on all machines now. The speed increase is very noticable.

Haven't really paid any attention to this before, thinking "how much of a difference can it make?". The answer is "a huge difference" ;) . Thanks for the great work guys!

I don't think that's the real cause, as "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install" and "os9general.dmg" are pretty the same. ( Mac OS ROM Version 10.2.1, Mac OS CPU Software 5.9 from 04.2003 )

... maybe you have some issues in your old system folder ...

In fact I have my own system folder used across all my G4s.  Based on "os9general.dmg".

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
I don't think that's the real cause, as "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install" and "os9general.dmg" are pretty the same. ( Mac OS ROM Version 10.2.1, Mac OS CPU Software 5.9 from 04.2003 )

... maybe you have some issues in your old system folder ...

In fact I have my own system folder used across all my G4s.  Based on "os9general.dmg".

I have the same extensions activated in both system folders. Everything is the same.
You're probably right, but I don't know where to start looking or if it's worth it at all since everything works like it should now. See attached picture :)

Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
The Processor and Floating point are better than I could expect. The Ti4600 performs incredible well as it could be expected. But otherwise the "Disk Mix" and "Publishing Disk Mix" is a bit low... it's weird.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
The Processor and Floating point are better than I could expect. The Ti4600 performs incredible well as it could be expected. But otherwise the "Disk Mix" and "Publishing Disk Mix" is a bit low... it's weird.

Probably due to my KingSpec SSD. Should put in a SSD from a "good" brand in it and see what happens to the benchmarks.