Author Topic: Mac files on a new NAS  (Read 28596 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Mac files on a new NAS
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2020, 03:05:42 AM »
By the way, for people connecting to a NAS, don you find that every time you go to your server that the icons are switched back to the icon view? I have to switch it back to the list view every single time I connect. MacOS seems to remember folder settings locally but must reset them for network folders or something.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2020, 02:17:47 PM »
that should only happen when it is not HFS?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2020, 04:07:42 PM »
So Mac OS can’t remember settings for anything other than HFS/+? The Synology is btrfs so that’s probably gonna why if so. I connect using AFP of course but now this has me wondering how a foreign file system can be read by my Macs. Unless it works differently than that.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2020, 12:58:05 AM »
re. View format when file sharing - The client follows whatever is set on the host.

So if you want list view, set the folder on the host to list view.

Similarly, if using icon view, and find yourself repositioning icons each session - you need to reposition them directly on the host.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2020, 01:17:22 AM »
Im not even sure I can do that on a synology. I’m gonna investigate and find out. File Station is what we use to browse files on it. Thanks for the tip, gonna investigate.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
So Mac OS can’t remember settings for anything other than HFS/+? The Synology is btrfs so that’s probably gonna why if so. I connect using AFP of course but now this has me wondering how a foreign file system can be read by my Macs. Unless it works differently than that.

that a filebrowser looks like the finder doestn mean it wouldnt be an upload. but actually i would expect that a proper network browser (that includes the finder in 9 and x) can still remember all settings.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »
I contacted synology and they said that the views settings is a feature of Finder, not the Synology NAS. I guess Finder doesn’t remember the settings for network folders so I’m kind of stuck with the icon view coming up every time.