Author Topic: Mac files on a new NAS  (Read 28037 times)

macStuff

Re: Mac files on a new NAS
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »
I don't see the Appleshare icon at all. It has an Adobe icon there, but no Appleshare.

ok so... install the appleshare client
i attached it to the above post..
not sure how you dont have it already, but according to the info above,
v3.8.8 is the one you want to install if you are running os 8.6.

give that a shot and lets hear some test results
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:18:38 AM by macStuff »

macStuff

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
one other possibility that noone said is that u could use a classic mac as a afp/appleshare server

im pretty sure its speed wont contest at all with that of a intel core duo machine or higher with many hard drives..
but they can act as appleshare servers aswel i think with the installation of appleshare ip server i think

http://archive.org/download/download.info.apple.com.2012.11/download.info.apple.com.2012.11.zip/download.info.apple.com%2FApple_Support_Area%2FApple_Software_Updates%2FEnglish-International%2FMacintosh%2FNetworking-Communications%2FAppleShare_Client%2FAppleShare_Client_3.8.8.smi.bin
heres another download for 3.8.8 appleshare client (for users of os 8.6)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:42:48 PM by macStuff »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »
Dude... this works BEAUTIFULLY!!!

I dragged some SoundDesigner II audio files and some Sibelius files over to the AFP server on the NAS, then I uploaded those same files with a different name over Fetch FTP. I checked on my Macbook Pro and the NAS server is showing blank icons for the FTP files, but retained creator types/icons for the AFP ones.

I logged back into the NAS by mounting it on my 9600 and what do you know, the files are perfect.

DieHard mentions that even some OSX versions screw with the bitree for OS9 files. I'm kind of worried by reading what he's saying but my Synology NAS with SHR2 RAID setup is handling it fine. I'm doing it the other way around than DH mentioned though: mounting the NAS drive from OS9.

macStuff

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:28 AM »
Dude... this works BEAUTIFULLY!!!

8) it does indeed
its insanely fast if u have a gigabit ethernet adapter (PCI)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:51:39 AM by macStuff »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2017, 12:30:20 AM »
I turned off Appletalk and the Appleshare thing still works. I thought it needed to be on? Man, I still don't know classic Mac OS's very well  ;D

macStuff

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2017, 12:40:54 AM »
no it doesnt need appletalk to be on... its descended from appletalk...
but its not appletalk.. lol
its confusing.
pretty sure *that* Appletalk that you want to leave turned off is related to the serial modem/printer ports (which are powered by the serial UART) using appletalk with a serial cable to link two macs for example both macs would need to have turned on appletalk so that you could access the other machines files.. using the serial ports like a direct modem connection between the two.. accessed via serial port

appleshare client = AFP over TCP/IP (ethernet port)
yea once u have a mounted AFP share on your desktop..
it will keep it there after reboots 
similar to how on windows you can map a network drive
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:58:06 AM by macStuff »

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 02:23:11 AM »
I turned off Appletalk and the Appleshare thing still works. I thought it needed to be on? Man, I still don't know classic Mac OS's very well  ;D
the naming is confusing indeed - this is a great site with comprehensive descriptions of all networking stuff for classic systems starting at day one... but it's easy to navigate to your specific system. In case you want the details you never wanted to know about  ;)
http://www.applefool.com/se30/index.html

Congrats for getting your NAS running, the Synology boxes are versatile and very easy to manage.
(I even ran a full business mailserver on such a thing for years - and THAT is something)

If your system is relatively new and a typical 'home setup' you may consider to ignore the Raid feature (unless you use it for speed) and format it as 'just a bunch of disks'.
The Raid (standard setup) is cool for heavy business traffic with a lot of modified data at the minute level, but a total overkill with more or less static data and archives.
The disks don't stop spinning and shifting data around like madness - and it wears out regular harddisks in a couple of days. Synolgy suggests high endurance disk for a reason.
You can backup to one of the other volumes or an external USB/eSata disk in regular intervals automatically, which is secure and keeps the system nicely quiet.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 03:10:49 AM »
I don't think OS8.6 has very good Keychain implementation. It asks me to type in the password every single time I reboot. In fact, I can't even find the damn Keychain control panel in OS8.6!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2017, 03:12:55 AM »
Astro: I have my surveillance cameras running 24/7 on it and I use it for important data backup. It automatically updates any files that change in the directories on my Mac Pro. Need to have multiple copies across disks for precious data!

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2017, 04:35:41 AM »
yes, it depends a lot on your specific requirements and the disk count in the NAS.

Physical disk failure is a minor concern (with quality drives) today and the lower Raid levels don't offer much advantage or rather the opposite by increased wear.
Also to consider is factory faults mostly show up in certain production charges and one usually buys from the same lot. Thinking of the 2 drive versions here.
With 4 or more drives and online swapping capability it's a different story.

I just wanted to mention it because the difference can be a big one.
But whatever strategy you choose, Synology has you covered. I was really sceptical for it's Linux heritage, but eventually had to admit they did their homework better than Apple.
At that time we also had 2 MacMini Servers as an 'option', but they never got engaged.

ps: after some trouble finding back the PSU in the attic my own DS214 is running again and serves the old Mac fellas well. 500MB in one minute is quite ok with me. :)
Now data may flow from OS-9 to IOS to OSX to WinXP to Win7.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:38:24 AM by Astroman »

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
Physical disk failure is a minor concern (with quality drives) today and the lower Raid levels don't offer much advantage or rather the opposite by increased wear.
Also to consider is factory faults mostly show up in certain production charges and one usually buys from the same lot. Thinking of the 2 drive versions here.
With 4 or more drives and online swapping capability it's a different story

Well, I kinda have to differ with this statement...
1- I see brand new "high Quality" drives die all the time... some fail right out of the wrapper... quality control sucks these days
2- If the RAID implementation has elevator seeking (this reduces back-and-forth movements of the disk head and minimizes head seek times) and other tricks the drive do NOT suffer "increased wear" at all in a Mirror or RAID 5 configuration, so unless your storing Hollywood movies or other useless garbage, then I strongly suggest you throw a little "fault tolerance" into the mix... but that is just MO :)

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
agreed to the general context.
I noticed the 'wear thing' when using one of these NAS for developing with static database archive content for testing. Almost nothing was changed, but the drive activity didn't stop and it was happily blinking the whole day through ;)
After a couple of days the drives failed and were replaced by the same type, but configured as JBOD and that setup lasted for years.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
Ok, weird problem here. I've always had an issue with downloading stuff via FTP from my mp3 folder, since 1) there's a LOT inside of it, and 2) old Macs don't seem to like long folder names or weird characters in it.

I tried browsing into the mp3 folder via mounting the NAS drive but Appleshare said there was an error and quit. Ever since, as soon as I open the network drive it defaults to the mp3 folder, then crashes.

I've deleted the Appleshare preferences but it keeps defaulting to the mp3 folder. Or at least, it defaults to the root directory of the NAS but has the mp3 folder's arrow icon ticked so the contents are expanded in List view. I need to close it somehow.

How can I reset this?

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 02:43:20 AM »
hope you got it sorted... the obvious method would be to access the NAS from another OS and move stuff from the offending folder temporarily. Or rename the original folder.
Check names for special characters like directory separators.
I remember some trouble with this when moving (real) old picture files to 'modern' storage.
At some point it stopped with 'directory not found' or similiar messages.

While I had the OS-9 part up and running in ten minutes, the thing is bitchy with IOS.
There's a supporting app that makes the shared folders available in IOS and you can write to them, but import from the NAS fails at the very last stage of the process.

File copy from NAS to tablet is working, though, but it's an extra step.

ps: it wasn't the app/NAS but some router/wlan misconfig or incompatibility
works flawless with another one (which happens to be much newer)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:56:53 PM by Astroman »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
I had to disable the problematic shared folder to get it working. Now I need to go rename the folders/files inside of it. I always wondered why Macs do that... I remember trying to transfer lots of files to an OS9 machine back in the day but Fetch would crash instantly. I figured out that I needed to rename the files. OS9 doesn't like long filenames or ones with weird characters, is the problem, I think.

macStuff

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
http://www.comentum.com/File-Systems-HFS-FAT-UFS.html

max characters of 31 according to this chart

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 04:32:42 AM »
Same here with renaming, though no real offenders, but some files were renamed.
Added a shortcut to the Chooser to avoid entering the IP every time (unless you automount the selected drive/shared folder) by modifying the Appleshare extension with ResEdit.
Replaced the empty text entry in dialog -904 by the IP string.

IOS transfers of single files work nicely, but directories are pretty wiered.
Tested a tree which was transferred but entirely hidden from outside the respective IOS app.
There's some difference between the Synology DSFiles and DS Cloud apps, the latter is more convenient as it skips the login which DSFile always presents, but hides the folders.
Anyway, zipped folders transfer retaining their structure, so it's a workable solution.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 04:15:01 AM »
I've been using my Synology NAS for almost an entire year now with my OS8.6 systems. It works without a hitch. I don't have to turn on external SCSI drives or use zip disks or burn CDRs or anything. Just go to Chooser, select Appleshare, connect to my NAS's AFP server, transfer files, done. A NAS was probably the best investment I've ever made for my oldschool Macs. I'm able to store my Pro Tools sessions and midi project files and transfer between studio rooms, just like I'm storing it on an external drive and taking it into another room. I was scared to use it at first since I thought it'd screw with the files like DH was pointing out (the OSX AFP stuff), but nope, this thing rocks.

The only problem I have with the AFP-NAS method is that it's slower than usual since the 9600's built-in ethernet gives me only 1MB/sec at its maximum. I had a better, faster ethernet card in my 9600 but couldn't get it to work. I'm not sure I even want to sacrifice a PCI slot on my 9600 anyway, but I do have a free slot in there.

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
I've been using NAS drives for a few years with OS9 also and haven't had any problems. My Netgear ReadyNAS was the fastest over AFP, my Ausustor 1004T (which is newer) is somewhat slower but just as reliable. They have been the best method for me transferring between machines, storing files etc.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2020, 02:08:35 AM »
Same here with renaming, though no real offenders, but some files were renamed.
Added a shortcut to the Chooser to avoid entering the IP every time (unless you automount the selected drive/shared folder) by modifying the Appleshare extension with ResEdit.
Replaced the empty text entry in dialog -904 by the IP string.

IOS transfers of single files work nicely, but directories are pretty wiered.
Tested a tree which was transferred but entirely hidden from outside the respective IOS app.
There's some difference between the Synology DSFiles and DS Cloud apps, the latter is more convenient as it skips the login which DSFile always presents, but hides the folders.
Anyway, zipped folders transfer retaining their structure, so it's a workable solution.

Can you give more detailed instructions for editing the chooser to have an IP already in the field? That’d be an awesome tweak. I wish I could just select a menu item and BAM, the NAS is mounted.