Author Topic: Mac OS 9 Challenge  (Read 13580 times)

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Mac OS 9 Challenge
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »
The open VPN seems to be an issue. I tried to find some solution about 4 years ago. There are VPN clients, and there have been commercial ones that I couldn´t find anywhere. I have to see if I got some informations (name, company, ...) left at some HD.

• Netlock from "Apani Networks" (2003)
• TunnelBuilder "Efficient.com" was bought by Siemens
• BroadWay VPN Client by "Ashley-Laurent" (Neon Software)
• PGPnet as stated above, especially "PGP Corporate Desktop"

• DAVE "thursby"

And some clients from VPN providers:
purevpn
IPVanish VPN
Express VPN

I've done a short while of digging, but am unable to turn up any of the above clients. I have a copy of PGP Personal Security, and I notice that the Windows version (although I cannot get it to work), allows for global ip routing and not just subnets (as the mac client seems to do). Are you familiar with the PGP Corporate version for mac and if it allows all traffic to be tunneled? This would solve all my problems.

On other notes:
I cannot find in netscape how to have multiple smtp nor will it take an @symbol in it. Classilla will have to remain my email client.
stunnel on linux looks promising as a proxy to secure up anything that is old, like pop3 without ssl. VPN -> LINUX -> clients socks, etc -> internet.

I do not like the mulberry client.

Found a copy of Jim's CDEF (code). It will compile under Code Warrior Gold 10, but not pro anything. I'm still sorting that out. Might go back to making my own widgets. I'm not a fan of realbasic. It doesn't like my dealing with larger files and crashes.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:01:03 AM »
At least TunnelBuilder can be found at the garden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/nts-tunnelbuilder
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
At least TunnelBuilder can be found at the garden: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/nts-tunnelbuilder

I was worried about the status of it being an eval version. While it does work, sadly, as far as I can tell via experimentation, mppe encryption requires mschapv2 which this client does not seem to support. So the options are no encryption, or a windows pptp server. I opted for windows 2003, as it was the easiest for me to get working properly. I did try nt 4.0 and 2k, but couldn't get them to route the traffic. They kept dumping it directly to the switch. Lame.

The other problem with it being an eval version is that it is limited to 40 bit encryption, I assume because of export laws at the time.

Maybe some one has a full version some where :)

Anyways, it appears that after the evaluation is up (which the eval mode seemingly needs a manual connection and nags you with a popup), you can delete everything and re-install.

If some one has more experience with pptp than I, which shouldn't be hard to find, I'd be willing to listen to advice on how to get a linux server to run with mppe encryption and mschap. I tried red hat linux 5,6,7,9 and debian jessie on a pie. All with the same results.

Be warned, connecting with bad configs seems to cause a memory fault on the mac and needs a reboot to recover.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »
Update:

Installed FreeBSD 4.2 and mpd. Got pptp with 40 bit encryption working.
Next, I installed FreeBSD 11 on an actual machine and mpd5. Slightly modified the default config removing everything that wasn't needed for pptp, works great.

I also installed openssh-portable, and made it take all the ciphers, etc. MacSSH now connects as well.

I will admit, I didn't see the option for MacSSH to make tunnels before. Things are looking up on this front :)

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
I'd like to rescind my statement on Mulberry. The 3.1.6a client seems to be ok.

Afterdark 4.0 is now working properly.

Coding for my own apps is going fine in Codewarrior 8.

I'm getting better at finding a majority of the things I am looking for with coding now.
I need my normal mba for chatting with some people as I am unaware of a client for discord :/

I'd love a svn client, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Raspberry pi setup is a B+ running freebsd and pptp. It has a pi zero configured with otg usb ethernet and serial behind it. I'm nabbing a pi zero w to add to that setup for use as an wifi AP.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »
Hey guess what!! I failed.
Yet I keep trying. I get closer and closer each time.
No excuses now.
Move all my data and run with it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 01:57:18 AM »
Found out this morning that my PowerBook G3 Kanga's battery holds allmost 2 hours of charge! I'm writing this from my Kanga in my sofa. No wires plugged in at all. This makes it an awesome Mac OS 9 machine for that authetic late 90's feeling. I grew tired of the old mechanical drive sound, so I just ordered a PATA SSD on eBay. I'm also fed up with the IOXperts driver, so I also bought a Lucent WaveLan Gold and plan to use it with the original AirPort drivers.

Just havent decided if I should go with Mac OS 9.1 (max for this PowerBook), "hack" it to use 9.2.2 or go with Mac OS 8.6 (which feels like the most sane thing to do). Only having 64mb RAM kindof cripples you (Classilla) a bit ;)
What do you guys think?

Planning on doing the Mac OS 9 challenge with this machine only. See how long I can manage. Have set up a "jump box" for SSH, so I can get to my servers.

I managed to write this before my 30 minute IOXperts wifi driver window ran out! :D
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 09:17:57 AM »
Found out this morning that my PowerBook G3 Kanga's battery holds allmost 2 hours of charge! I'm writing this from my Kanga in my sofa. No wires plugged in at all. This makes it an awesome Mac OS 9 machine for that authetic late 90's feeling. I grew tired of the old mechanical drive sound, so I just ordered a PATA SSD on eBay. I'm also fed up with the IOXperts driver, so I also bought a Lucent WaveLan Gold and plan to use it with the original AirPort drivers.

Just havent decided if I should go with Mac OS 9.1 (max for this PowerBook), "hack" it to use 9.2.2 or go with Mac OS 8.6 (which feels like the most sane thing to do). Only having 64mb RAM kindof cripples you (Classilla) a bit ;)
What do you guys think?

Planning on doing the Mac OS 9 challenge with this machine only. See how long I can manage. Have set up a "jump box" for SSH, so I can get to my servers.

I managed to write this before my 30 minute IOXperts wifi driver window ran out! :D

I've been tempted to do the same with wifi card.  My PowerBook batter holds a charge almost three hours.
I have an SSD in mine and it is so much better.  It's quite and faster.  The quite part bugs me a small bit though as I  can't hear it on boot so I don't know if it's boot before the screen kicks in.  I usually have all audio off so I don't hear the chime.  The speed and lower battery consumption are make it way worth it though.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
I've been tempted to do the same with wifi card.  My PowerBook batter holds a charge almost three hours.
I have an SSD in mine and it is so much better.  It's quite and faster.  The quite part bugs me a small bit though as I  can't hear it on boot so I don't know if it's boot before the screen kicks in.  I usually have all audio off so I don't hear the chime.  The speed and lower battery consumption are make it way worth it though.

I have SSD's in the TiBook and MDD and they are amazingly responsive. I just havet really used the Kanga much at all "thanks" to the IOXperts driver. Hope the Lucent 802.11b card makes me use it more. It doesn't seem to have any fans either, so the SSD will hopefully make it dead silent ;)

Offline Ralphieboy

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 02:51:01 AM »
Email clients I've tried and thoughts:
Netscape Communicator: Loads fast on the 667mhz box, supports SSL on imap, it doesn't want to support multiple smtp (or i can't seem to tell how)
Eudora 6: Just hangs my machine up. Have to hold power to shut down.
Classilla, improved Communicator, works great, slow though.
Mulberry: Interface is weird. Doesn't seem to support SSL. It appears there was a SSL plugin, but alas, all the files were on ftp and not on archive.org.

It took me a while to figure out the multiple smtp on classilla which would be the same as on netscape.  I'll check and get back to you how I did it.

When in the area to setup and manage the e-mail accounts, smtp is listed last.  Select that and there is an advanced button.  You can define multiples there.

Is there an option to keep a copy of my emails on Outlook's server when I use Classilla's email client?
I have not found this option yet and this is what stops me of using OS 9 as a primary OS.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
https://github.com/jarofghosts/peabody

I've hacked this up to get it running (not too sure why it was expecting the results it was, but alas, I simply don't care as long as it works) so I can browse sites of the past without too much trouble.

I have it running on a pi. Working great.

Current WiFi network setup looks like this:

Powerbook -> WAP54G w/WEP -> usb adapter on pi b+
pi b+ running freebsd has pf rules to give out dhcp leases and accept PPTP, also running PPTP server
Powerbook WIFI connects, tunnelbuilder pptp -> freebsd -> internets

If I turn off proxy in classilla, I get current pages.
If I turn on proxy in classilla, I get pages from the date set in the proxy software.

Running fine so far.